Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I drink with my anti biotics if they don't specifically say not to on the info sheet?

(13 Posts)
used2bthin Fri 22-Aug-08 20:49:07

I'm hoping so because I'll be on them for my birthday. I won't be going mad but would like to be able to have one or two if I fancy it. They are ciprofloxin, does anyone know about them?

LittleMyDancingForJoy Fri 22-Aug-08 20:50:35

I think you can unless specifically directed not to, but they might not work so well if you have a drink.

I'm no expert though.

used2bthin Fri 22-Aug-08 20:53:08

Thank you yes I bet thats it.I think the doctor only prescribed them to be on the safe side anyway. She gave me ten days worth but said I can stop after five if I feel ok so I will see how I feel.

ellideb Fri 22-Aug-08 20:56:01

I think certain antibiotics can make you violently ill if you take them and then drink alcohol, but I can't remember which one/s, it might be medazolane? Try googling just to be on the safe side.

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 20:56:04

Are they called Ciprofloxacin? If so then alcohol enhances the effect of the medication so it's probably best avoided.

used2bthin Fri 22-Aug-08 21:00:33

Googling is a good idea. Yes Avenalife thats the ones. I think I will avoid it on my actual birthday then(tuesday)then hopefully I can be off them by friday when I am meant to be going out for a few drinks. I have to have these ones or erythromycin which always make me feel dreadful, its because I'm allergic to penicillin its a bit of a pain.

SubRosa Fri 22-Aug-08 21:02:09

I had one very small glass of wine, when taking Ciprofloxacin, and puked violently for 3 hours. Even if you stop taking it today, it will be in your system for another couple of days. Just what you need to know on a Friday night

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 21:03:58

I've looked them up in the BNF for you, it just says that alcohol enhances their effects. Remember to give it a few days for them to clear out of your system before you go bozing.

Last time I had erythromycin I needed to go for an ECG after passing out on the sofa because of a very slow heartbeat. Nice!

I hope you are feeling better soon. smile Happy birthday for next week.

used2bthin Fri 22-Aug-08 21:05:27

SubRosa thank you for telling me though I'd rather know and avoid it, that sounds awful for you! Its not till next friday so if I take them for five days I'll be off them by wednesday so two days to get out of my system, hope its enough. Will only need to take one on wednesday morning. How annoying what timing!

used2bthin Fri 22-Aug-08 21:07:25

X posts Avenalife thank you for doing that for me its really kind. I kept going dizzy on erythromicin its nasty stuff isn't it? I asked not to have it this time so I hope these ones are better. I've only taken one so far and felt ill anyway so hard to tell.

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 21:08:55

The ones you are taking cause flatulance by the way. wink

used2bthin Fri 22-Aug-08 21:11:48

Oh lovely lucky I sleep alone then lol!

used2bthin Fri 22-Aug-08 21:14:54

Just seen that it actually does mention alcohol on the leaflet blush it says they may cause impaired alertness if I drink alcohol on them. I usually get that anyway when I drink grin oh great they cause difficulty sleeping too just what I need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now