Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pleae help with anxiety about ailments. It is taking over my life.

(6 Posts)
chairmanmaiou Fri 22-Aug-08 19:46:17

I am frequently unwell with minor illnesses, viruses, that sort of thing. Thing is when I am ill I seem to be totally debilitated and have to stay off work or get help with the lo.
I am in constant fear of germs and viruses. I am not OCD, but I could get there if I don't do something soon.
I wouldn't mind so much if I wasn't so knocked out by illnesses.
I have been to the immunologist - there is no clinical problem.

Can anyopne suggest anything to help?
I am getting to the stage where I want to live in a bubble.

chairmanmaiou Fri 22-Aug-08 19:56:07

Please

BigBadMousey Fri 22-Aug-08 20:11:06

cbt would help you a lot.

It's not at all uncommon to feel this way and people do come through the other side with help.

Do you have a friendly sympathetic GP?

SubRosa Fri 22-Aug-08 20:50:33

Do you get any help with lo? You sound tired and run down, hope you don't mind me saying that. I went through something similar when dd was little, it was so demoralising, as people (including dh) seemed to think I was exaggerating.

Sorry I can't offer any words of wisdom, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one and you will come out the other side with a fantastic immune system...I hope

artichokes Fri 22-Aug-08 21:05:10

Poor you. I have felt like this, as if I have the worst immune system in the world and am liable to get every bug going. My problems are made worse by the fact I am emetophobic and can easily become obsessed if a vomiting virus is circulating.

I have found that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy very helpful and would really recommend it. I had it to tackle the emetophobia but once I explained my feelings to the therapist it was clear that all germs were a problem. Thanks to the CBT my fear of illness is much reduced and so I think about illness less which it makes it feel less like illness dominates my life. It has also reduced my stress and stress inhibits your immune system so I think I am healthier now.

To boost my immune system I had a series of acupucture and chinese medicine. I am not a great beleiver in alternative therapies but it does seem to have helped. I also take echinacia and vitamins regularly and make sure I get plenty of sleep. Maybe its the placebo affect or maybe these things really helped but I do feel healthier. At least they have given me a semblance of control over my health.

I got my CBT referral from my GP - maybe that might be a good first step for you? Good luck!

chairmanmaiou Sat 23-Aug-08 19:51:47

Many thanks for replying to me.
I am run down, yes, though I do get help with my lo as the Grandparents are more than happy to take him on outings. Also, dh is quite understanding.

I will look in to CBT. I'd be willing to try it certainly. My GP is okay.

I am also a bit scceptical about complementary therapies as I have spent a fortune in the past to no benefit. However, i do take echinacea because it doesn't cost me too much and helps me feel a bit better about my health.

I do need to improve my diet. It is okay, but too few fruits and too many sugary things. I think it would help psychologically if nothing else.

Thanks again for replying.
I don't feel so lonely now. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now