Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Underactive thryoid and insomnia - any links?

(9 Posts)
Scubes Fri 22-Aug-08 12:41:46

Hi

I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid in Jan after birth of baby. Now stable on thryoxine 100mcg / day.

However I am really struggling to sleep properly. I used to be asleep by 10 every night, now I am wide awake. When I do go to bed I fall asleep sometimes but wake 10mins later and am wide awake again. It's very frustrating.

I thought overactive thyroids caused insomnia not underactive and the level of my throxine is fine. There are no other factors that could be causing my insomnia.

So any advice on how to get me some shut eye?!!

TimeForMe Fri 22-Aug-08 12:55:58

Hi

You have my sympathy. I am underactive too and although i suffer from fatigue I have a problem staying asleep at night. I am at the moment taking a magnesium supplement, magnesium being something that thyroid patients are short of. I took my first tablet at 7pm last night and was falling asleep by 10pm. I slept straight through until 5.30am, which is pretty good for me.

If you google 'thyroid and magnesium' you will find some helpful info.

HTH smile

Scubes Fri 22-Aug-08 13:06:30

Oh that sounds good! Thank you sooo much for the advice. I'd rather take something natural than some sleeping tablets so will definitely look up links for magnesium. Didn't realise that was something we lack.

Any particular mag supplement or will any do?

TimeForMe Fri 22-Aug-08 13:24:35

Your welcome. I bought mine from Healthspan as they also contain the B vitamins which help the magnesium work and also help with the depression that comes with low thyroid and the fatugue it causes.

I will find you a link smile

TimeForMe Fri 22-Aug-08 13:28:14

This is a link for the magnesium.

I have also just bought a highly reccommended book entitled 'Solved:The riddle of illness. Your amazing Thyroid and how you can work with it to control it'

It only arrived this morning so I haven't has a chance to read it but having scanned through it it does look interesting and helpful.

TimeForMe Fri 22-Aug-08 13:28:58

www.healthspan.co.uk/search.aspx?query=magnesium

Ooops! blush HERE is the link for the magnesium! I blame my thryoid wink

TimeForMe Fri 22-Aug-08 13:30:26

And a link for the book if you are interested smile HTH

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-9878582-5377430?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=S olved%3A+The+Riddle+of+Illness

Scubes Fri 22-Aug-08 14:35:30

My goodness it's like having my own personal thyroid consultant!

I've joined British THyroid Foundation, it seems that getting 'normal' results satisfies doctors but not us poor people who are still suffering.

Will definitely get book and the tablets and see if that helps. Thanks TimeForMe for giving me your time! x

TimeForMe Fri 22-Aug-08 15:45:13

You are most welcome. I have had an underactive thyroid for 16 years and it has never ever been stable. I am on 200mcg of thyroxine daily at the moment having just come down from 250mcg daily.

There are a lot of knock on effects from having an underactive thyroid. I have a high cholesterol despite following a healthy diet and of being within the correct weight/ BMI range. This is caused by my thyroid problems.

Take a look at 'sticking your neck out' too. It's a series of emails that you can sign up for with helpful news, advice and tips smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now