Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Prolapse - anyone had one / got one and had the operation

(5 Posts)
VoluptuaGoodshag Thu 21-Aug-08 20:17:16

I have just been diagnosed with one and have been referred to the local gyno clinic. I don't want to be told to get back and continue with my pf exercises as I've been doing them to no avail and I want the op. My life is a misery re incontinence and I'm only 39. Would be interested in anyone's experiences? Can you demand an op?

barey Thu 21-Aug-08 20:37:52

I am having continence issues but have no prolapse. Have been seeing a womens' health physio who is fantastic (I never knew such things existed!) and she has reassured me that doing pf exercises properly will rectify everything but that it will take about 5 months before I see any results. I am rubbish at remembering to do them but to be honest with you, the thought of surgery would be enough to make me do them all the time! Have you seen a physio about it? I had a delightful vaginal probe in yesterday which showed the strength of my pf contractions and it was really helpful. Physio also recommended pilates. Good luck

girlnextdoor Thu 21-Aug-08 21:02:00

Ihad the op years back at 35-ish.

I wasn't leaking but it was all bulging and uncomfortable.

You maybe need to find out exactly what is going on- if it is "just" leakage, you can have TVP- transvaginal tape ( google it) which is over in an hour or so.

If you have a lot of stretching and loose vaginal walls, then you will need the op- which tightens it all up. I had that- recovery etc is same as hysterectomy- week in hospital and 6 weeks no lifting etc.

Try to get a surgeon who is used to doing the op if you have a choice as you may well get better results.

I can't say if you can "insist"- I had the op privately- but it comes down to your quality of life- so do say how you feel.

zebra34ff Wed 27-Aug-08 23:45:04

I believe I may have a prolapse of some kind...this "bulging" and discomfort is exactly what I am experiencing. I've felt this way since the birth of my first child 2 yrs ago, but since my 2nd (10lb birth weight)it feels lots worse and I feel pretty miserable. I have a physio appt in few weeks but feel sure I will need sugery to "hoik" it back up-pretty gutting as I'm only 32 and usually enjoy active lifestyle.
girlnextdoor-did the op sort it out? Would be greatful for any advice.

AvenaLife Wed 27-Aug-08 23:52:40

It depends on how bad the prolapse it. A level one is where the cervix has sagged and you ca feel it internally, a level 4 is it hanging out. They don't do surgery for level 1 where I live, they refer you for pelvic floor lessons. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now