Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

talk to me about high blood pressure

(13 Posts)
Califrau Wed 20-Aug-08 23:04:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cheatedon Wed 20-Aug-08 23:08:35

I think you mean 140/91. Up very slightly. Normal would be classed as around 120/80. It's not even that bad, most peoples BP would be up a bit at the docs. I'm sure they'll check it again next time and it'll be fine. They're just being cautious because of your family history. Don't worry about it, just get to the doc early next time and read a boring magazine in the waiting room and it will be down when they check.

cheatedon Wed 20-Aug-08 23:09:16

Pain would make it higher too.

girlnextdoor Wed 20-Aug-08 23:10:35

Have you had any advice?

Best things are:

low salt diet-don't add salt to food
exercise- 30 minute brisk walk daily
keep weight down to acceptable BMI

Try to have at least 30 mins to yourself every day where you just chill out, meditate, read, listen to soothing music....

try not to stress over trivia- ask "WIll this matter in 6 months time?"

girlnextdoor Wed 20-Aug-08 23:12:19

Normal is still quoted as 120/80 BUT more recent advice is to get the lower figure under 80.

Exercise really helps.

Califrau Wed 20-Aug-08 23:12:42

girlnextdoor Wed 20-Aug-08 23:15:46

Hot? are you in the UK? it's blooming awful weather!

Looks like you need to really take your health seriously- this is a warning sign. Don't panic, but you do need to try to make longer term lifestyle changes, starting with even 10 mins walking a day then building up.

Being over weight is one of the main reasons for high BP.

Califrau Wed 20-Aug-08 23:19:28

Uriel Thu 21-Aug-08 00:17:33

The feeling like a blown up balloon - I get this very occasionally when I'm really angry.
Dh has got one of those home blood pressure cuffs and I took my bp when feeling like this - it was way up (for me). Usually I'm laid back and the low side of normal.

Romy7 Thu 21-Aug-08 00:36:58

hello califrau <waves> glad your roofers have arrived!

like i said, mine was 145/90 and the gp banned me from driving. my mum has been on bp meds since having strokes at 32 (i am well past that) so i was freaking totally.

i literally forced myself to be calm for 2 weeks until she reviewed me again and got my blood test results back (full set) - couldn't drive so ambled everywhere and literally tried to reduce stress in every area. mine was def stress related, and gp thinks i may have been post-viral, but it's back within normal limits now.
so don't stress about your mum - certainly in my case it wasn't the worst case scenario i was expecting...

sending peaceful neighbour vibes xx

Califrau Thu 21-Aug-08 00:39:59

girlnextdoor Thu 21-Aug-08 09:16:52

The bloated feeling could be water retention - when you a re over weight your heart has to work faster to push blood round all your body.
It is under constant strain- imagine being a normal weight and carrying 4 stones of luggage with you everywhere, every day- that is what being overweight is doing all the time.
Not only does your heart have to work harder, but your kidneys too- they regulate the amount of water in your body.

The top figure of your BP- the 140 figure- is the one which is easily raised due to anxiety etc- known as "White coat syndrome" - lots of people upper figure is higher when under stress such as at the drs having their check up.

However, the lower figure- (80 or lower) is the most important one and you do need to try to get that down through lifestyle measure.

Time to take yourself in hand! smile

Romy7 Thu 21-Aug-08 09:23:38

i think they were worried about what else might happen - i'd been having a couple of seconds of dizzy spells etc (which she later decided had been positional vertigo) and i think they were worried about me blacking out...
as long as you haven't been having any of that alongside the bp issues then you're probably fine to drive. but relaaaaaaax.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now