Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Starting the pill after having a baby...

(4 Posts)
MINNIE1 Wed 20-Aug-08 15:45:32

I am 5 weeks after having a baby and was wondering could i start the pill before my period arrives?? or will i have to wait??

ForeverOptimistic Wed 20-Aug-08 15:48:06

You can start before but it won't work as a contraceptive. I don't think you can take it if you are still breastfeeding.

emma1977 Wed 20-Aug-08 17:45:24

Depends which pill you mean.

You shouldn't take the combined pill if you are breastfeeding, but the mini-pill is OK to use. If you want the mini-pill, you can start any time you like (ideally 5-6 weeks postnatally) and rely on it as contraception immediately (providing that you are exclusively breastfeeding).

If you mean the combined pill, it makes it easier to start taking it on the first day of a period for convenience sake (and you definitely know that you're not pregnant). However, if you are absolutely sure you aren't pregnant again (remember you may have already ovulated and if you have had unprotected sex already, then you could have conceived), you can start taking it immediately. Just don't rely on it as contraception for the next 2 weeks.

MINNIE1 Wed 20-Aug-08 22:48:24

Many thanks that explains it all very clearly. Not BF and not pregnant so i am ready to go. Just eager to get on the pill as i dont want to fall pregnant again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now