Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So if weve used a nit treatment , does that mean that they are all dead?

(11 Posts)
melsy Wed 20-Aug-08 12:59:53

Or will we still have eggs in our hair? Im planining on using Hedrin next week on myself and my dd's as a precaution, but Im still very itchy after the treatment yesterday morning. Although I was bitten quite a lot, Im hoping its just a histamine reaction and not live ones?

misdee Wed 20-Aug-08 13:02:40

get a nitty gritty comb.

removes lice and eggs.

no need for lotions.

Overmydeadbody Wed 20-Aug-08 13:02:51

the nits won't die, only the lice.

That's why you need to do the treatment twice, so you kill off any lice that hatch out of the nits after treatment.

I find a nit comb much more effective as treatment. Just comb through with lots of conditioner every few days.

I do this as standard now with ds.

melsy Wed 20-Aug-08 13:11:35

Ok so its more the combing than anything. Planning on doing comb out again tommorow, so every 48hrs.

I assume the nits are the eggs?

I really need to sort out the nitcomb, you can get it on prescription ive been led to believe , but not in my council angry.

aghhhhhhh , last time I had it was 2.5 yrs ago when pg with dd2. Took 3 weeks to clear and constant combing, I had it very severely, Boots checked me and there was 1000 blush. I was so ignorant of these things.

Im so itchy still , was for days before I realised I had it.

melsy Wed 20-Aug-08 13:14:20

They don't live in pillows or fly 10ft do they?!!

My cleaner (who walked out on me this morning as shes freaked out with a bug phobia), said this this morning. Was most adamant she wouldn't touch my pillows hmmshock!

melsy Wed 20-Aug-08 13:22:31

I was adamant that they do neither of those things,saying thats dust mites or fleas, but it wasn't going to help!

Overmydeadbody Wed 20-Aug-08 13:28:01

lol no they don't fly!!

Yes the nits are the eggs

Overmydeadbody Wed 20-Aug-08 13:29:06

Lice cannot survive for more than 48 hrs off the human scalp, but yes they could well be on your pillows.

threekids Wed 20-Aug-08 13:30:57

I have always found the electric nit combs to be the best, especially when you have more than one child or person in the household. Nits become immune to the lotions and live on. Something like a robi comb, just put batteries in and use on dry hair until no more nits. Best buy ever and the kids dont get grumpy because its so easy to use. Makes a bit of a buzz noise though smile

georgiemum Wed 20-Aug-08 13:31:43

They are evil little B***ds!!! Aparently the best thing to do is to lather your hair in a thick hair conditioner and comb them out. Then do it again a couple of days later. Your don't need to be scratching to have them (it's a reaction to the bite and not everyone itches).

They seem to saunter over from one head to another, so they don't jump, fly or parachute. They only spread by hair-to-hair contact.

The eggs are white and sticky and sit on the hair. You can tell if it's and egg or a bit of fluff/skin/etc as it doesn't come off easily (it is stuck there). The bugs are bigger and dark. They have creepy legs and wander about (not jumping or anythign like that). They hang about near the scalp (especially at the nape of the neck, front hairline and above the ears).

You are supposed to check every week or so by using the nit conb. A lovely job!

I am now scratching like a monkey at the thought. Off to find the nit comb...

MorocconOil Wed 20-Aug-08 13:38:59

I second the Nitty Gritty comb. We all had the little blighters, and I got rid of them by using nitty gritty comb with conditioner, and carefully combing the whole head. I combed everyone, every night for a week, using chocolate and DVDs to get the DC to comply.

I'm dreading the DC going back to school unless everyone else has treated their children over the holiday. I hepled out at sports day and all the children were scratching away, and I saw eggs on several heads. Yuk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now