Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

psoriasis - cream used in continentsl europe but not here - any ideas please?

(15 Posts)
33k Wed 20-Aug-08 11:59:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FioFio Wed 20-Aug-08 12:00:19

Message withdrawn

33k Wed 20-Aug-08 12:01:35

emma1977 Wed 20-Aug-08 17:56:56

What is it called?

33k Wed 20-Aug-08 21:25:55

misi Wed 20-Aug-08 22:47:45

is the cream modern drug based or a herbal type one? in germany, herbal/natural creams are common place and some are based on chickweed. not sure about france though, what does it smell like?

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 21-Aug-08 10:32:53

if its so fast I'd be concerned about whether it contains potent steroids.

misi Thu 21-Aug-08 11:52:30

I use a herbal prep that works just as fast as steroids so it may not have them in but there are some real dodgy creams out there, they do for the psoriasis but then often have bad side effects later

MmeLindt Thu 21-Aug-08 11:55:49

I have no idea what it could be but if you find out let me know and I will buy it and send you it. I am in Germany but moving to Switzerland next month, near the French border.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 21-Aug-08 12:16:13

misi - tell me more about your herbal prep please, at the moment none of my prescription stuff is shifting my psoriasis, particularly on my scalp. Not even two weeks away camping in the sun has helped this time.

misi Thu 21-Aug-08 23:33:17

borage oil, evening primrose oil, shea butter calendula, burdock, comfrey, chickweed, mahonia, French lavender, chamomile and neroli.

I tend to add in more chickweed as this I find really helps soothe inflamed skin.

for hair, I use a selenium based shampoo similar to selsun but without any chemicals, I tend to add in some zinc too, not sure why but it helps I find.

psoriasis is caused by cGMP and cAMP irregularities within your body often stimulated or caused by certain foods.
cGMP causes skin cell division and therefore growth and cAMP activates cell death. in psoriasis, cGMP is increased to a very high level while cAMP decreases. high levels of cGMP can cause skin to grow every 4 days instead of the usual 28 ehich causes the red and inflamed skin you get.
any person with psoriasis that comes to me will mostly get the same answer, use the cream and improve your food intake, digestion and liver function.
if your psoraisis is not improving, it may mean that the offending foods are still being ingested in too great a quantity.
keep a diary of all the food you eat, what your skin is like, what your poo is like and after a few weeks you should see a pattern emerge.
to improve digestion, I recommend to my clients to take digestive aids like quest digestive enzymes ; http://shop.questvitamins.co.uk/xcart/product.php?productid=3082&cat=9&page=1

also friendly bugs too but not the yoghurts or drinks if they contain sugar or sweetners, but perferably in pills.
to improve liver function I use oregon grape and milk thistle with artichoke and maybe a touch of dandelion. I would suggest though, that as your psoraisis is not responding to modern meds, get yourself to a nutritionally minded herbalist and let them sort you out!!

www.NIMH.org.uk to find your nearest qualified and experienced herbalist, if when yopu get the details, none are listed as nutritionally experienced, e mail the NIMH direct and ask if they know of anyone in your area. (NIMH is the governing body of mediacl herbalists)

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 22-Aug-08 09:23:56

thank you very much misi - thats a lovely full answer and I appreciate it. How expensive is it to see a nutritionist and how many times/how often would an 'average' person need to go? Sorry, its an awful question but I get worried about getting hooked up into something that will tie up all my finances forever!
Am waiting for an appt for rheumy at moment due to PA and also circulation problems, so I'll probably wait until I've got a diagnoses on whats going on with that.

33k Fri 22-Aug-08 11:11:13

misi Fri 22-Aug-08 21:46:23

OhYouBadBadKitten improving your digestion will help the RA as well as both are caused/aggrevated by the same sort of thing, in RA it is often poor digestion that leads to incomplete protien digestion, unfriendly bugs then putrify the food and produce endo toxins, that get absorbed into the blood and find their way to the joints. these endo toxins are similar to something else (won't explain what, techy and long winded grin) that the joints and body recognise as foreign and so mobilise the immune response leading to the auto immune problem that is RA. (this is a simplified version and other factors do play a part but it is mainly food and the bodies response that causes the probs). poor circ will most likely be linked into the RA and psoriasis too, its all linked to the auto immune reaction.

when in practice, I charge £40 for the first session as this is likely to be around 60-90 mins long, this is where I get your complete history. further saessions are around £20 per 30 mins. I don't charge the least but I don't charge the most either. some I know on london charge up to £80 per hour! my ex put her prices up last year to £60 per hour but then went out of business as she was in a little town. for psoriasis and RA probs, I usually expect to have the first session, then 1 or 2 more, then a break of 3 months unless you need to come back for any probs that arise, then maybe another 3 over the course of a year. when in practice, I do take phone calls for small questions etc that I don't charge for and if I can answer, I will but will also say you need to come in if I think you do.
if you go to someone and they say you will need so many sessions over so many months etc, I personally would think again as I cannot tell at the first session how long it will take as everyone is different and responds differently. it does sometimes take a session or 2 to work out what will work best for you. thats why I say a couple of sessions then tell you to go away, let the ''treatment'' work, then come back but say you can phone at any time if you have questions, but as everyone is different, herbalists work differently too, so always ask questions of your herbalist/nutritionist. if you do see someone, go for a herbalist with nutrition experience or a nutritionist with herbal quals, a nutritionist on thier own won't usually ''prescribe'' pills and potions as they are not qualified to and dietry changes are not always enough.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 24-Aug-08 23:06:45

Brilliant misi - thanks for all that - I'm copying it so I don't lose it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now