Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CONSTPATION-to eat or not

(7 Posts)
allbungedup Tue 19-Aug-08 15:55:25

right i am in agony.3 days and counting. have been taking lactulose with no result.I have been eating normally, but should i stop-is it just making things worse.(mental image of that ad with the handbag filling up with food)
it is hard and sore and i just can't go
I am going quietly mad as the pain is dire
Has anyone any tips as what is the best way
should i just sit there until something happens.
sadsadsadsad

mother3 Tue 19-Aug-08 17:09:40

Ex lax choc is good not sure if its still about (its a laxitive)..Lots of fruit grapes are helpfull and orangies...How about asking a pharmatist at chemist if they could recomend any thing.Sorry to say but the longer it goes on the more pain full it will be to pass.Keep eating if it goes on too much longer go docs for subpositries.Not pleasant but do work.Sure it will sort it self out.LOts of fresh juice as well.Good luck.

moodlumthehoodlum Tue 19-Aug-08 17:11:21

Strong black coffee? Apples?

Jux Tue 19-Aug-08 17:25:03

Water melon is great. Shreddies have loads of fibre (ms nurse recommended them to me!). Also drink lots of water as constipation is often caused by lack of fluid.

allbungedup Tue 19-Aug-08 17:37:11

thanks
will try the shreddies
have been drinking water/cranberry juice all day and nibbling on mandarine oranges
and trying to do some yoga- but it hurts like all buggery.
i am a bit feverish now
it was the gp who gave me the lactulose, but you are not supposed to take it with sennacot or dulcolax
phew
it's really awful
i swear i am hallucinating today

dudey2007 Mon 25-Aug-08 00:14:20

Pears and grapes. I sympathise I was in major pain. Good Luck xxx

thumbwitch Mon 25-Aug-08 00:35:59

prune juice and fgs don't stop eating! There is a thing called the gastro-colic reflex - the idea being that as food enters the stomach, a message is sent to the colon to move things along. Of course, as you are bunged up this means an increase in pressure behind the "blockage" but in the end that will be more of a benefit than otherwise.

I have a huge amount of sympathy with you - have been in your situation a few times in my life and have felt dire. Lactulose (I think) only works well if you drink loads of liquid too, but sounds like you have been.
Avoid the shreddies if you don't drink much, they can be counterproductive. If you like liquorice, that is a known "releaser" (but not if you are currently pregnant).

Gentle stomach massage can help (again, if you are not pg) - start from the lower right corner of your belly, work up to just under your ribs, then across to the left side under your ribs, then down to the lower left corner. Exercise is also a good plan, up and down stairs is probably best at this time of night.

Good luck - I feel for you, I really do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now