Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does your dh/dp have chronic pain post vasectomy?

(24 Posts)
oops Mon 18-Aug-08 21:57:44

Message withdrawn

Romy7 Mon 18-Aug-08 22:03:43

nah.
chronic bruising mebbe. (quite spectacular in fact...)
is the surgeon a man? hmm

they probably say the same thing about childbirth.

no post op issues here.

reginaphilangy Mon 18-Aug-08 22:04:58

Nope. Dh didn't even have pain, just a dull ache he said.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Mon 18-Aug-08 22:06:48

DH did what he was told, and did nowt for 48 hours, no bruising, no pain.

Soon no sperm, major gain. grin

CaptainFabioHiltsTheCoolerCat Mon 18-Aug-08 22:09:15

ffs get another surgeon!

Is he planning on doing it with a knife and fork?!

oops Mon 18-Aug-08 22:11:39

Message withdrawn

liath Mon 18-Aug-08 22:12:49

Lots of litigation goes on with vasectomies so a many surgeons are very cautious and give fairly dire warnings of complications to cover themsleves.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 18-Aug-08 22:14:51

DH just had a bit of aching and tenderness for a couple of days. I tried to be sympathetic but I had hyperemesis for many months...grin

oops Mon 18-Aug-08 22:23:38

Message withdrawn

liath Mon 18-Aug-08 22:29:50

10% does seem rather a lot I must say. I used to work in family planning and I think the chronic pain stats were nearer 1% IIRC.

Denny185 Mon 18-Aug-08 22:30:36

Oops, think your husband was given the same leaflet as mine, they have to cover their backs and give you all the info for informed consent.

DH went ahead and had it 'done' on his friends recommendation who was running the following day. DH unfortunately developed post op infection so took nearly 3 weeks to heal but not left with any chronic pain.

oops Mon 18-Aug-08 22:30:41

Message withdrawn

liath Mon 18-Aug-08 22:48:49

Actually to help with your statistics my dad and BIL have both had a vasectomy and neither have pain.

I'm with you in the sick of being poked thing. It took two goes to get my mirena in so if it doesn't suit me it'll be time to seriously consider the snip for DH.

oops Mon 18-Aug-08 22:54:35

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 18-Aug-08 22:54:42

my dad, BIL and FIL have all had vasectomies with no chronic pain afterwards.

and did he cater to you whislt you lay on the couch or bed after giving birth to his children?

oops Mon 18-Aug-08 22:58:39

Message withdrawn

oops Mon 18-Aug-08 22:59:27

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 18-Aug-08 23:01:09

i'd be weary of a surgeon with such a high chronic pain/infection rate over what is a very simple procedure - i presume he's having the 'no scalpel'/Chinese needle method.

FWIW, the female sterilisation procedure is far more invasive, requires GA and can result in a life-threatening ectopic pregnancy.

oops Mon 18-Aug-08 23:08:05

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 18-Aug-08 23:09:41

get a second opinion.

do you have private insurance? you may be able to use this for vasectomy.

oops Mon 18-Aug-08 23:10:58

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 18-Aug-08 23:12:28

i'd see someone else.

search vasectomy threads on here or get on some NHS sites to see how it is normally performed.

oops Mon 18-Aug-08 23:17:07

Message withdrawn

aliasdictus Mon 18-Aug-08 23:20:09

Hi, the surgeon is almost certainly telling you the worst-case scenario; with newspapers and the media howling for figures to show how incompetent doctors are, it is forcing doctors to practise defensive medicine. In the USA they will give you a huge list of possible complications for every tiny procedure.

However, pain does occur, it usually settles in a few days, sometimes a few weeks assuming it doesn't get infected. After six months pain is less likely for a number of reasons and most studies seem to think that around 1% is the figure for long term pain after this BUT getting really reliable and accurate data is difficult which is why there is a discrepancy in what you have been told. As I say, your surgeon is giving you all the information so that you can make an 'informed decision' which apparently is what patients want.

Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now