Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I cannot eat

(16 Posts)
thereluctantmilitant Mon 18-Aug-08 20:40:21

I have had no more than a slice of toast or similar per day for weeks and I cannot bring myself to eat due to stress. Instead I am smoking (was a non smoker previously)

Any ideas what I can do or a GP could do for me?I don't want to eat btw. I hate the feeling.

madcol Mon 18-Aug-08 20:45:11

What is the stress? If you hate the feeling of eating this sounds more serious than stress. You should see someone

AnnieLaurie Mon 18-Aug-08 20:49:16

Sorry to hear that, you must be having a hard time at the moment.

Can you think what triggered this? Were you a good eater before? You say you are stressed - is it a general stress or has something happened recently that you are finding it hard to deal with?

Sorry, lots of questions but seems to me like you need to find what started this...

girlsallaround Mon 18-Aug-08 20:51:42

reluctant, how long have you felt like this? can you drink herbal tea? you might find that very relaxing. the gp should be able to help you

thereluctantmilitant Mon 18-Aug-08 20:52:49

Yes I know what it is but can't out myself I'm afraid (have name changed). The not eating is getting worse and worse and the stressors are not abating. I'm working on them, but in the meantime I think,although not skin and bone I must be seriously malnourished, but I really detest how I feel if I eat more than two slics of bread for e.g.

MrsMattie Mon 18-Aug-08 20:54:13

It sounds like you are suffering from depression / anxiety. you must see your GP and tell him/her. or you will get ill.

TrinityRhino Mon 18-Aug-08 20:56:10

do I know you well??

thereluctantmilitant Mon 18-Aug-08 20:56:15

I do have support for the root causes - seen my keyworker today.But nobody knows too much about the food thing.

lilacbloom Mon 18-Aug-08 20:56:17

what about ensure/build up drink with ice cream whisked in,

thereluctantmilitant Mon 18-Aug-08 20:57:00

TR, no- well not in RL but I know you on here.

AnnieLaurie Mon 18-Aug-08 20:57:11

I have to say that my gut instinct is you need to talk to someone and get help - now.

If you dont want to say what this is (even with namechange) you need to find a safe environment - counselling, help line, friend, doctor, that you can talk to and find out how to get help.

Assuming you are a mum - do it for yourself, but also do it for your kids.

TrinityRhino Mon 18-Aug-08 20:58:59

sorry
just had a feeling that you may have been someone on here thT I do know in real life

thats why I asked

can't be of much help
but as a depression suffering I really think you need to go to the docs and be honest

I eat like a hprse when sad but I do know other people that stop eating when depressed

thereluctantmilitant Mon 18-Aug-08 20:59:03

Is it possible to flirt with anorexia in your teens and then have it properly as an adult?

TrinityRhino Mon 18-Aug-08 21:04:45

yes definitely

please go and be honest with someone

thereluctantmilitant Mon 18-Aug-08 21:05:37

Hmm,okay. I thought maybe I'd banished that one well and good...

lou031205 Mon 18-Aug-08 21:20:00

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but if the eating is also related to cutting, then you do need to talk to your key worker honestly - they can't help you with one without knowing about the other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now