Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Long lasting Tummy Bugs

(34 Posts)
KatieMac Tue 15-Feb-05 20:05:31

My DD (7) has been poorly now for 2 wks + with diahorrea. She is fine for a few hrs then goes down hill with a temp, tummy pains and general unwellness. Her normally large appetite is tiny and she only eats bland food. Today she refused Calpol as it would 'make her sick' - I gave her a paracetamol. (hope that was OK)
At her swimming lesson last Thursday she was fine and swimming one minute then she collapsed, started shaking, went white and was disorientated.
The DR said that this bug lasts for 2-3 weeks and she should be off school this week and go back gradually next week.
I'm really concerned - I have ME and her reactions look very "post virally" to me.
Any help or comments (or reassurance) gratefully received

KatieMac Tue 15-Feb-05 20:53:39

Sorry to bump this so quickley - but I'm in a real tissy about this.........

beansontoast Tue 15-Feb-05 21:00:26

umm..dont know if this is atall helpful but last november i had a bug like that ,that started slowly [2-3 days]and lingered for two - three weeks
hope she improves soon xx

KatieMac Tue 15-Feb-05 21:01:43

Thanks beansontoast (btw thats her fav meal at the moment )

I just get worried

beansontoast Tue 15-Feb-05 21:02:02

umm..also it was rather like the complete fatigue of morning sickness

KatieMac Tue 15-Feb-05 21:02:52

That makes sense - she fine then she just sort of crumples

KatieMac Wed 16-Feb-05 21:57:31

She was really bad again today.....I just don't know what to do.

CountessDracula Wed 16-Feb-05 22:04:15

katiemac has there been any blood or mucus in the diahorrea? If so go and see the doc as could be colitis type thing

KatieMac Wed 16-Feb-05 22:06:39

No - It's either runny with bits or just dissolves when it hits the water.

She really down with it

When she has a bug - she usually is back on form within hrs (like her dad) - I can't do anything

bobbybob Wed 16-Feb-05 22:09:21

Try some probiotics to get some healthy gut bacteria restored. Work up the dose gradually until you notice an improvement.

KatieMac Wed 16-Feb-05 22:10:38

Like Yakult (type) do you mean?
I started her on Tescos version yesterday. Should she have more than 1 a day?

Snugs Wed 16-Feb-05 23:13:29

Katiemac - has your GP not arranged for a stool sample to be tested? I used to work in Public Health and it was the norm to test after 4 days. Surprised it has been allowed to go on for over 2 weeks.

KatieMac Wed 16-Feb-05 23:17:51

Aparantly all the local kids have had it and it has hit the adults quite hard too....I'm surprised I haven't as my digestive system is very poor (IBS)

Poor DD - she doesn't know what to do with herself, even watching tv is too much

Snugs Wed 16-Feb-05 23:26:42

So have they said what it is? Normally they would do some sort of investigation, especially if the problem is that widespread. IME they only wrote it off as simply 'viral' if the individual duration was under the 4 day mark.

KatieMac Wed 16-Feb-05 23:29:55

So another visit to the Dr is probably a good idea, he'll think I'm fussing as he said 2-3 weeks was normal - but she is upset at the idea of going back to school for mornings only.

My GP when I was a child accepted that Mummy knows best - this one doesn't

KatieMac Wed 16-Feb-05 23:32:14

Sorry Snugs - Yes he said it was viral and I know of 2 other children who were ill for at least 2 weeks (but both of them are prone to suffer with their tummies)

DD is normally so healthy and she looks awful

Snugs Wed 16-Feb-05 23:40:00

Well, you have my sympathy (as does DD ) - but I am still really surprised. Things must have changed drastically since I left public health.

I would be inclined to request that a sample be tested anyway, just for your own piece of mind and to rule out salmonella, campylobacter etc (but then my GP knows I worked at the labs and doesn't tend to argue with me about tummy bugs).

KatieMac Wed 16-Feb-05 23:41:24

Thanks for the advise
Def back to the Dr's tomorrow.

Thanks again
Kmc

Snugs Wed 16-Feb-05 23:44:06

Hope DD is feeling better soon. Keep her fluids up (I'm sure you already are!) in the meantime and let us know what the GP says.

TiredBunny Wed 16-Feb-05 23:58:09

My dd (3) had something called cryptosporidium when she was abour 20 months old. She was very poorly for a few weeks..... her poos were like tea and her temp was high. They tested her straight away. Apparently it is such a baddie though that even environmental health called round. she got better after a few weeks but had lost loads of weight. Her appetitie did come back!! Docs will have tested her I assume??

Snugs Thu 17-Feb-05 00:00:41

Tiredbunny - crypto is awful! Terrible stomach cramps. We had a big outbreak locally a few years ago linked to the water supply. Loads of people got to together to bring a mass case against Yorkshire Water. DH and I had it but were excluded from the law suit on the basis that I worked at the lab and couldn't prove I had 'contaminated' myself.

TiredBunny Thu 17-Feb-05 00:05:04

I am in Harrogate and we never got to the bottom of where it had come from. I didnt get it and her nursery didnt.... only pulic place i could think of was McDonalds and swimming but they said they werent likely. Might have been the cat - she went through a phase of stroking him near his bottom. It was awful - poor little un couldnt pass wind without needing a bed change. she was nearly put in hospital! This was a NOV 2003

Snugs Thu 17-Feb-05 00:08:31

It's usually infected water - or contact with sheep or cattle. It's sheep/cattle dung that usually causes the water contamination in the first place. Yorkshire Water had changed the way that they filtered the water supply - so for a short while (this was back in the early 90's) the contamination was coming straight out of the taps!

TiredBunny Thu 17-Feb-05 00:11:02

Yeh so I have no idea where it couldve been - I wasnt ill so it wasnt home.... i gather the body could have been incubating it for a while though???

Snugs Thu 17-Feb-05 00:19:58

Upto about 10 days I think. It's a parasite so the eggs (oocysts) can be ingested and then hatch and multiply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now