Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

6 week check up - what did your doctor do??

(50 Posts)
irishbird Tue 15-Feb-05 20:05:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spongebob Tue 15-Feb-05 20:07:17

That was about it for me too! Has an emergency c section, didn't want to see scar, took blood pressure, asked me if I felt ok....and that was pretty much that!

Amanda3266 Tue 15-Feb-05 20:08:11

Nope - think it's about standard. Mine just took my BP and asked me how I felt and that was it. Checked dear son out as he had an umbilical hernia (which went spontaneously when he was 6 months)but was really keen to just get me in and out the door. They get paid for doing these checks (as part of the maternity services you sign for at the beginning of pregnancy)otherwise I think they'd have dropped them long ago. Apparently there are moves afoot to try and pass these checks onto midwives which might or might not be better depending on the staffing numbers.

irishbird Tue 15-Feb-05 20:09:02

marthamoo Tue 15-Feb-05 20:09:40

It does vary - mine after ds2 was like yours. My friend, however, had a breast exam, internal and detailed Q&A session. Probably depends on how busy the GP is.

motherinferior Tue 15-Feb-05 20:11:12

I think if you don't feel right you should definitely go back.

Can't remember my first, but I remember my GP at my second asking me in rather embarrassed way about contraception, which he clearly felt was not a subject one should raise with a Laydee. Given that I was 40, and was therefore quite obviously aware of the options, I felt his delicacy was a little misplaced.

givenupforlent Tue 15-Feb-05 20:12:49

My 6 week check up was with my consultant = he gave me an internal examination (and told me I was constipated ), Q&A, discussed contraception etc and charged me £80!

irishbird Tue 15-Feb-05 20:13:39

motherinferior Tue 15-Feb-05 20:15:06

Do you have to see that doctor? Can you see another?

Or can you throw a wobbly and burst into strategic tears, especially about feeling low? Tell her you think you have PND, and lay it on thick?

irishbird Tue 15-Feb-05 20:17:48

motherinferior Tue 15-Feb-05 20:19:05

Oh hell. Do you have a HV? you must do, mustn't you. Is she any use whatsoever - they're supposed to be aware of PND...

irishbird Tue 15-Feb-05 20:20:37

motherinferior Tue 15-Feb-05 20:21:08

OK. How do you feel, 'down there', as they say?

Bexybear Tue 15-Feb-05 20:21:17

havnt had much cause to say this about the health care professionals ive been in contact with before and after the birth but my GP was excellent. I played down the pain, itching etc as I wasnt really sure what was normal and the community midwives were completely un-interested. but she checked me out, prescribed anti bios, advised saltwater baths, organised a follow up visit and held the baby!

So it is possible to have supportive health care professionals there just isnt many of them

beansontoast Tue 15-Feb-05 20:21:17

mine was like that too..just a quick in and out.
however i didnt feel there was anything that i was worried about...go back cos if you actually have something specific to point out then they will check it out im sure.

just as an aside...
my gp did ask me if i had had sex yet.
i was taken by surprise with this one ,but answered honestly,'no'.
WHAT on earth are you waiting for? was his totally innappropriate reply.
after a bit of an indignant pause i said ....'you'

i dont know if he got it,i dont know if anyone ive told gets it...

irishbird Tue 15-Feb-05 20:22:23

irishbird Tue 15-Feb-05 20:23:18

motherinferior Tue 15-Feb-05 20:24:39

Hmmmmm, could be 'early days' but could be tight stitching or something?

(Am secretly very impressed by anyone who can contemplate sex for the first, oh, couple of years)

motherinferior Tue 15-Feb-05 20:26:03

ah, just realised, is your baby five MONTHS?

HappyMumof2 Tue 15-Feb-05 20:26:14

Message withdrawn

irishbird Tue 15-Feb-05 20:28:17

HappyMumof2 Tue 15-Feb-05 20:31:16

Message withdrawn

irishbird Tue 15-Feb-05 20:32:51

motherinferior Tue 15-Feb-05 20:34:26

In Kate Figes' book 'Life after Birth' she suggests that if you're not 'right' after six months it's definitely time to see the doc, and that far too many women put up with things they shouldn't be. Yes, I'm now very angry with your bloody doctors - they should definitely look, and should also see if the stitches are infected and take swabs and so on. Tiredness has bugger-all to do with it. All frivolity aside, I was 'right' by then as far as my stitches (and yes, sex) were concerned. I think they are being lazy and assuming that 'oh, pregnancy does that to you'.

motherinferior Tue 15-Feb-05 20:35:40

And you shouldn't have to be using private health insurance either. Is it possible to book in FOR AN EXAMINATION, phrasing it in that way and pretty well getting in and taking your pants off?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: