Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS (nearly 3) has a bad cold/fever but is asleep (it's night time here). 101+ degrees

(6 Posts)
Jackaroo Mon 18-Aug-08 12:18:02

I simply cannot give him anymore paracetamol/ nurofen, but he does seem to be sleeping normally - just very hot. Should I wake him to give him drinks? Take him to casualty? We have a doctor's appt. tomorrow morning........

This is the second day he's been fine in the morning then fever in the afternoon - have read that cooling baths etc. are not a good idea. It's also pretty freezing here, so difficult to get the room over hot.

Any advice? Comments?

Many thanks

Jackaroo (trying not to overreact)

PS I know he has earache/it's probably an ear infection if that makes a difference.

filthymindedvixen Mon 18-Aug-08 12:21:08

I was told recently by a GP that if the temperature remains consistently too high for 24 hours you should worry. If he is 'normal' and then spiking, try not to panic. Lukewarm brow sponging is good, rather than baths, wich can then make them shivery.

Ear infections are horrid.

MatNanPlus Mon 18-Aug-08 12:23:17

Wipe himwith a tepid cloth while he is sleeping.

How are you taking his temp? i ask as current charge reads .8'C different from 1 armpit to the other.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 18-Aug-08 12:25:18

Keep giving him paracetamol to help keep the temperature down and to stop it rising too quickly.

I would also ring the GP surgery and ask to talk to someone to see if you should go in before your appointment.

I hope he feels better soon.

MegBusset Mon 18-Aug-08 12:25:26

I certainly wouldn't wake him, sleep is probably exactly what he needs. Would do the brow-sponging if he is restless, otherwise let him rest and take him to the doc in the morning.

Jackaroo Mon 18-Aug-08 12:27:08

Great, thanks, just what I needed to hear. I've got long-haul jet lag and need to sleep - leaving good instructions for DH. You've all be such a help.

Temp. is under the arm - 38.5+ which is just over 101 and a bit higher the second time.

J

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now