Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should i take dh to a&e tom morning???

(25 Posts)
pandagirl03 Mon 18-Aug-08 01:16:42

Hello,

Not having a good time at the moment, firstly i have been ill was due to go on holiday on saturday but dh got ill on friday. Anyway i took him to out of hours doctors yesterday because his leg had swollen up and was very painfull. Doctor gave him 3 lots of antibiotics to take 4 times a day. Doctor said to dh if its no better by monday come back. Well dh has been in agony all day, all he has done is lie on the sofa all day with leg elevated. But its still badly swollen and he can hardly walk, is in agony also these dark purple patches have appeared now and very dark red patches all over his leg. Dh is saying it will get worse before it gets better, but i am very worried. Am i right to be worried and take him to a&e tom.

SparklyGothKat Mon 18-Aug-08 01:18:57

i'd be calling 999 now..

DillyTanty Mon 18-Aug-08 01:23:14

i'd certainly be calling nhs 24, they might tell you to ring an ambulance. if it's an infection, things can go from bad to worse quickly i think. wouldn't take the risk myself.

KerryMum Mon 18-Aug-08 01:23:42

take him in.

sounds like start of septicimia

KerryMum Mon 18-Aug-08 01:23:56

now I mean.

pandagirl03 Mon 18-Aug-08 01:24:03

oh sugar didn't think it was that bad, omg how stupid. He wont go. Keeps sying he is ok.

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Mon 18-Aug-08 01:24:37

Yep, call them now. Not worth waiting

DillyTanty Mon 18-Aug-08 01:26:24

i wouldn't fuck about until tomorrow...

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Mon 18-Aug-08 01:27:54

He's not ok. He is in agony and has dark purple patches and very dark red patches all over his leg. Take him to A&E and let them decide. If he's ok, they'll send him home. But at least then you'll know.

KerryMum Mon 18-Aug-08 01:56:13

if it is septicimia (and it certainly sounds like it) then he could be DEAD by morning.

sorry but it's the truth. Call the paramedics if he won't go willingly.

CaptainFabioHiltsTheCoolerCat Mon 18-Aug-08 02:12:56

I thought it might be a DVT - in which case 'dead by morning' still could be the case.

Do what SGK and Kerry say and dial 999, if you haven't already.

PootyApplewater Mon 18-Aug-08 02:15:24

please get emergency medical help NOW.
dial 999.
this really could be very, very serious.

Califrau Mon 18-Aug-08 03:15:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Mon 18-Aug-08 03:21:25

Am assuming since you've disappeared that you have gone to A&E. Hope DH is ok. Thinking of you.

PootyApplewater Mon 18-Aug-08 10:03:41

I hope things are OK.

DillyTanty Mon 18-Aug-08 10:16:15

me too, better safe than sorry i hope.

bubblerock Mon 18-Aug-08 10:25:17

Could be cellulitis - very painful, hope everythings okay and you took him in last night.

KerryMum Mon 18-Aug-08 11:23:26

any news?

Twiglett Mon 18-Aug-08 12:39:05

gosh, sounds scary (at least this thread does) .. hope everything ok

pandagirl03 Mon 18-Aug-08 14:29:00

sorry i haven't been back to update everyone, we went to a&e and the nurse said it looks a bit like cellulitis, we then waited to see doctor, dortor came to see dh and was the most miserable doctor you can imagine. kept asking dh why he thought his leg got infected. He then said that the purple patch's are from internal bleeding from his leg swelling and damaging the muscle. He then said to dh to carry on taking the antibiotics and sent him home. So we will see how he goes, if it gets any worse i will be taking him straight back. Thanks for all the concern and advice.

SuperBunny Mon 18-Aug-08 14:54:19

Thanks for coming back. Am glad you know what it is and that it is nothing worse. Hope he is feeling a bit better

DillyTanty Mon 18-Aug-08 15:57:03

i had cellulitis once after an ear infection, it made my whole face swell up, absolute agony. your poor dh. you did the right thing, thank goodness it wasn't more serious.

Califrau Mon 18-Aug-08 17:20:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mother3 Mon 18-Aug-08 17:59:51

has he cut him self.My mum died of septicimia.Had a cut on her finger but didnt have up to date injections so it went to her blood.Hope you see a better doc if you need to go back.Sure once the antibotics kick in he will be fine.JUst keep an eye on him.xx

pandagirl03 Mon 18-Aug-08 20:01:48

no he has no cut at all. I will definatly be keeping a eye on him. We are going to register him to my doctors tom. Then ask for some blood test's as the doctor we seen today told us to do. Thanks for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now