Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

pacemakers

(11 Posts)
figgis1 Sun 17-Aug-08 21:42:11

my dh has just had to have pacemaker to correct electrical problem in heart, hes only 38, just wondering if theres anyone else out there with similar experience?

misdee Sun 17-Aug-08 21:44:09

dh had a pacemaker/ICD fitted when he was 25.

is your dh also an ICD or just a pacer?

figgis1 Sun 17-Aug-08 22:12:34

diagnosed with heartblock, had dual chamber p,maker fitted. wots icd?

misdee Mon 18-Aug-08 08:46:10

an ICD is one of these, its shocks the heart back into rhytm if your dh doesnt know about them, then he doesnt have one so dont worry.

figgis1 Mon 18-Aug-08 21:39:56

thanks for info. is your dh's condition a hereditary problem? my dh is now 3rd generation to have pacemaker, just starting to look into it to find out implications for dd's.
it must be tough going through this at such a young age.

misdee Tue 19-Aug-08 09:15:56

my dh had a heart condition which meant he needed a heart transplant. that was done a year ago, and he is now machine/wire free.

the docs are split on whether its heridatary. even though his was caused by a virus they think, the cardiac doc at st thomas' want my kids screened every 5 years. my gp doesnt agree. last screening found that my dd1 has a leaking valve, but its minor, she has to be seen in another 2years.

figgis1 Tue 19-Aug-08 21:08:44

blimey youve been through it! glad hes ok now. hopefully we can meet with consultant to look at family history, really need more info about it all because we didnt get chance when he was in hosp, it all happened so fast dh still getting over the shock of it happening. been looking at stuff on the net but think im just scaring myself!

ahappymummy Tue 19-Aug-08 21:14:50

hi figg! my hubs had a pacemaker fitted when he was 30 for the same prob as yours.it was a shock at first,but it is a totally necessary vital piece of equipment.dont look on the net for further info...most are only horror stories!

figgis1 Wed 20-Aug-08 20:47:00

hi ahappymummy
thanks for that , youre probably right about not lookin on the net! does he know wot caused it? Has he carried on with life as normal?

ahappymummy Wed 20-Aug-08 20:59:02

hi figgis! it was caused by a heart block and something wrong with the so called electrics of the heart.hes now 36 and has carried on completely as normal,he cycles to and from work which is about 8 miles,he lifts weights,exercises and everything that a person without a pacer would do.he does set off the security alarm in sainsburys sometimes though bcoz of the magnets!!!!

figgis1 Fri 22-Aug-08 21:11:50

thats reassuring. we could even take up shoplifting and blame it on the pacemaker! the doc did say it would fix the problem and shouldnt affect life, think im just anxious cos seems to be a genetic thing in his family so am worried bout dd's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now