Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long does post-natal hair loss go on for? - getting fed up

(9 Posts)
Mummyfor3 Sun 17-Aug-08 17:57:56

I am 5 months postnatal after DS3 and my hair has been falling out in masses for 2 months now. I know from experience that this is nothing to worry about and am fairly certain there is no other cause.

BUT: I am getting really fed up with the mess it makes everywhere. Pillow case covered in hair in the morning, hair on my shoulders all the time, hair in DSs nappy/mouth/wrapped around his fingers, hair in dusty corners of house (not that I have dusty corners of course grin).
So, can anyone remember how long this goes on for, even roughly, as I am sure it is different for everybody.

Mummyfor3 Sun 17-Aug-08 19:31:00

Anyone??

Somebody give me some hope that this mess is done with fairly soon - otherwise I am tempted to go to DS's barber for a No 2! grin

zebedee1 Sun 17-Aug-08 19:32:39

I think mine improved about 6 months after birth.... so don't be having that number 2 just yet!!

bhk3 Sun 17-Aug-08 19:39:45

hi ya i'm 6mo postnatal & i'm still losing my hair in handful. its everywhere is can see. its really very unhygeinic but cant help it.even i wud like to know when exactly does it stop

VanillaPumpkin Sun 17-Aug-08 19:47:39

Just a thought but are you on the Cerazette pill? I put my post baby hair loss down to post natal loss while I was breastfeeding and on Cearazette. I have recently gone back on it and I am losing my hair again. Loads of it. Think I need a contraception re-think.

Mummyfor3 Sun 17-Aug-08 20:36:21

Thanks for replies.
I feel very a bit stupid having to ask this in the first place as current baby is DS3 but I cannot for the life of me remeber how long it went on with the other 2.
They were 1 year and 10 days(!) apart, so I had barely begun regrowing hair, when it all started all over again.
VP, no I am not on any kind of contraception, apart from BFing about 2000x/day and night, or so it seems shock. I am lucky in that I have thick hair and I do not think anybody else notices, but as I said, it is the mess that is getting to me.
Oh, and having to stop half way through a shower when washing my hair to unplug drain..., yuck!

LackaDAISYcal Sun 17-Aug-08 20:40:33

It's worth getting your bloods checked as both iron deficiency and thyroid issues can cause excessive hair loss. If you normally shed lots of hair when not pregnant, probalby nothing to worry about and things will improve slowly, but if you don't normally shed lots it might be worth a mention to the GP.

carrielou2007 Sun 17-Aug-08 22:25:35

Hey, I have really really thick (and curly, thank god or GHD's) hair and so I was very aware of it and all the wispy regrowth around the hairline at the front - not a pretty sight.

I am probably WAY off the mark but mine did not really get better until I stopped BF. I thought it was linked to BF as when dd dropped her afternoon feed it did get better, same when she dropped the 10.30pm feed. I had totally finished BF at 16 months but to be fair my hair was pretty much back to normal when dd was about a year.

Don't know if that will make you feel better or worse, sorry!!

EyeballsintheSky Sun 17-Aug-08 22:31:19

7 months post natal here and still coming away in fistfuls. I keep telling DH I'm saving it to stuff a mattress cushion with. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now