Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

carpal tunnel?

(11 Posts)
Califrau Sun 17-Aug-08 01:48:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Sun 17-Aug-08 01:50:17

bubbles4 Sun 17-Aug-08 01:53:36

Dont know much about it,but once at a gp appointment I mentioned that I had been getting pains in the backs of my hands and he prescribed ibuprofen gel and I bought some stretchy hand supports that look like fingerless mittens and found they really helped.

CvQ Sun 17-Aug-08 01:55:32

you need to get a hand brace/support to immobilize it tbh.you dont want it to get any worse between now and seeing your dr.have you had any trauma to your hand.trapped it or maybe banged it on something and forgot?

Califrau Sun 17-Aug-08 02:05:02

suey2 Sun 17-Aug-08 02:07:23

could be work related upper limb disorder rather than ct. Make sure he monitor is at eye level and you posture is good. Will come back tomorrow with more advice

babyOcho Sun 17-Aug-08 05:31:25

DP had carpal tunnel and he says... look to change your keyboard and mouse, also get gel pads for both. There should be some that offer flatter keyboards so you can use with gel pads.

He said not wearing a watch helped him as well.

Finally, the best treatment that he had was acupuncture! He's not usually into stuff like that, but says it was ace.

pelvicflawed Sun 17-Aug-08 07:25:50

I had this really bad after DS was born - ended up have both my wrists operated on. While I was waiting for the op I used all the main pain killers and wrist splints at night. The consultant I saw called the splits (don't laugh!!) 'cock up splints' becuase they put your wrist at a 30 degree upward angle. The splints really helped I have to say though they were a pain to wear. I work at a PC most of the day so my employer got occ. health in they suggested a gel wrist rest, making sure that the monitor was aligned correctly and that the mouse was close by so that I didn't streatch for it. They also recommended a vertical mouse which they got for me - it took a few dyas to get used to but once I did it was fantastic - when I use a traditional mouse now it is so uncomfortable. The Occ. health women told me that she would like to see vertical mice used as standard as it would help aliviate a lot of wrist problems but as they are around £60 a shot I think its unlikely my employer (local gov) will ever do that. Hope it gets better soon.

SpinningCat Sun 17-Aug-08 08:53:48

Carpal tunnel can also be a symptom of an underactive thyroid - so if you're putting on weight for no apparent reason, tired, achey, feel the cold easily it might be worth getting tested?

ilovemydog Sun 17-Aug-08 08:59:17

got carpeal tunnel when pregnant and was offered steroid shots. Also offered physiotherapy and a split.

Had baby before I got appt wth physio and didn't want steroids...

suey2 Sun 17-Aug-08 21:05:51

try not to lean through your wrists when typing, the wrist should not rest on anything, even a rest. It puts direct pressure on the carpal tunnel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now