Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Molloscum - yikes! How long does it really last for?

(36 Posts)
Pamina3 Tue 15-Feb-05 14:37:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 15-Feb-05 14:44:00

DD1 had them. They lasted a couple of months. They can last up to about a year. We didn't stop her doing anything because of them. The doctor gave us some cream for when they got sore (fucidin sp). We also gave her some homeopathic remedies, which I'm sure was for something else but cleared them right up within a week. Can't remember what though. Sorry can't help further.

Bozza Tue 15-Feb-05 14:46:05

I reckon that DS has had his for probably longer than that. Although the ones he got first (on back of leg above knee) have gone. However due to him fiddling with it he has got others in surrounding area and below the knee plus two on stomach, one on his neck and one on his side. Lots of them are now going and more quickly than the first ones did - think his body has built up a response. Also the ones on his side and neck he hasn't realised he's got so hasn't bothered with them (we've been really careful not to draw his attention to them) are not as bad as the others where he ended up with secondary excema and a prescription.

DD has got one in the same place as you describe and I'm hoping she will not get it as bad because at 9 months she is too young to mess with it.

The doctor was quite matter of fact about it and suggested no extra precautions. DS goes swimming twice a week and DD once. I think its fairly common for kids who go to nursery - like yours and mine - to get it.

Bozza Tue 15-Feb-05 14:49:22

We've got the same cream as MarsLady. Its more from DS irritating them according to the doctor. He said the main way they were spreading was from his nails. So maybe a good idea to keep nails short. You probably do anyway.

Potty1 Tue 15-Feb-05 15:08:40

Ds2's lasted about a year and dd's longer than that, but she had eczema with hers so she scratched them a lot. We used fucudin on her. We didn't stop goin for swimming lessons although I did overhear some comments about them so you might like to take your hard hat

HappyMumof2 Tue 15-Feb-05 15:17:23

Message withdrawn

elliott Tue 15-Feb-05 15:25:35

I think ds's lasted for nearly a year (started at 18 months) I remember feeling quite anxious about it at the time, wondering if it would ever disapear. I tried echinaciea but that didn't help. Tried picking/pricking them but that made it worse
In the end they just vanished and I can't even remember when. No need to stop swimming or anything. Just try to forget about it

sandyballs Tue 15-Feb-05 15:33:00

One of my DDs (nearly 4) has had them since October and they seem to be getting worse rather than better - also in large clumps as you describe. We have been given Fucidin to put on them.

She has been self conscious about swimming and I have just ordered one of those sun-safe suits with sleeves down to the elbow and legs to the knees so she can wear this at our local pool!

Willow2 Tue 15-Feb-05 15:41:21

DS has one or two left - must be nearly two years since the first ones appeared.

suedonim Tue 15-Feb-05 19:26:56

Hate to tell you this but dd's lasted about 2.5yrs! She caught molluscum while we were abroad, starting on the inside of her elbow and then on her face. She had eczema on her arm, too. They eventually began to disappear and over about a year all cleared up. We went swimming almost every day while abroad and her school didn't prevent affected children from participating in swimming lessons.

milliways Tue 15-Feb-05 21:55:17

My DS had them for about 6 months. He goes swimmimg & diving every week & no comments made. Only probs was when 1 kept catching on his trouser waitband. We just waited it out, he developed eczema around them but then they just started to shrivel.

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Tue 15-Feb-05 22:01:32

Lasts about a year. Although a very kind mumsnetter told me about Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream and dd's disappeared within 2 weeks of using them.

pixiefish Tue 15-Feb-05 22:07:06

Did it really bh. dd has had them for about 8 months now (she's only 12 months- bless her) They get worse and then the bad ones clear up but she gets new ones that are white for a while and then they get red and horrid and then burst. They do bother her and have put calamine on them tonight- the little dot is covered in them. I haven't taken her swimming- couldn't cope if anyone said anything to me about them (although the swimming pool HAS to be the place she caught them)

Cod Tue 15-Feb-05 22:20:49

Message withdrawn

Cod Tue 15-Feb-05 22:21:08

Message withdrawn

roisin Tue 15-Feb-05 22:27:46

ds1's cleared up on its own after 8 months.
ds2 has had it for about 18 months

misdee Tue 15-Feb-05 22:44:30

dd2 has had hers for 7months now.

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Wed 16-Feb-05 11:00:37

Did it cod? I thought it was you whose ds improved with it

Bozza Wed 16-Feb-05 11:10:19

Chicken pox didn't work with DS. He must have about 20 still active and about 6 that have gone (but still red marks on skin which I think will heal in time) and two that have burst this week.

DD just has one which has developed since she had chicken pox.

ernest Wed 16-Feb-05 14:55:55

I read on another mumsnet thrread about
- calc carb (homeopathic stuff)
- putting a bit of duct tape over the spot (the theory being body will have allergic reation to tape & start fighting spot)

My ds had them, in the place you mention, for about 6 months & just seemed to be getting gradually worse, so I tried both & it worked, petty quickly, so don't know which i can attribute it too, probably a mixture, but more the tape. Probably not recommended, but they seemed to be starting to bother him, itchy, rybbing etc, so I'm glad I did it.

pixiefish Wed 16-Feb-05 21:37:50

do you leave the duct tape on or do you pull it off as if you're waxing?

MrsMom Wed 16-Feb-05 21:49:29

My kids had them for over a year. i heard that tea tree oil in the bath helped and used to do that every day - not sure if it helped or not!

pixiefish Wed 16-Feb-05 22:05:23

dd's are really irritating her at the moment. between that and her eczema we're not getting much sleep. Have tried to smother her in calamine lotion tonight (molluscum not the eczema) to see if that helps

Pamina3 Thu 17-Feb-05 09:20:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ernest Thu 17-Feb-05 13:09:19

I was worrying about peeling it off, but it came off very easily in the bath, mostly just fell off. ds is the biggest coward when it comes to plasters getting ripped off & he had no complaints!

incidentally, it worked v. quickly, we only put it on twice, each lasting 1 or 2 days max. It looked irritated v. quickly 7 sort of pussy when wet. We only put the tape on the worst spots, but they all cleared up at about the same rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now