Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Shingles and Chicken Pox

(8 Posts)
SmallShips Sat 16-Aug-08 16:29:12

My dad has just found out he has shingles (this morning). He spent 3 hours playing and taking my DC out yesterday. I know shingles can cause chicken pox if the person hasnt had it, but im not sure if his rash had appeared yesterday. If it hadnt would he still have been contagious?

cluckyagain Sat 16-Aug-08 16:31:29

Your poor Dad. I can only assume that it's like CP in that the virus is active before the rash arrives - I would watch out for spots!! (10-21 days post exposure)

Shitehawk Sat 16-Aug-08 16:46:11

It's very hard to catch chicken pox from shingles - not impossible, but very difficult. Your son would have had to have been in direct contact with the shingles spots to have even the slightest chance of catching it, but it is very unlikely even then.

SoupDragon Sat 16-Aug-08 16:46:13

It's the shingles rash which is contagious, like chicken pox until all the blisters have scabbed and are dry

cluckyagain Sat 16-Aug-08 16:47:16

I stand corrected - sounds like you should be OK.

milknosugar Sat 16-Aug-08 16:49:22

doc told me you have to get some of the liquid from the blisters in your mouth/nose. so if its under normal clothes he will be fine.

wheresthehamster Sat 16-Aug-08 17:43:01

I caught chickenpox from MIL who had shingles and didn't tell anyone. I was 35 and pregnant. I wasn't happy angry

Wags Sat 16-Aug-08 18:48:10

Both of mine caught chicken pox from my shingles. They went down with it on the same day grin. Mine was on my face though and before I realised I had it I thought I was dying from the pain so I kept kissing the kids all day thinking it was my last day with them blush. I had a weird sore on my eyebrow that was spreading and weeping. My Dr said it was unlikely they would catch it but I was convinced they would as I had practically rubbed my face all over them - DS was only 14 weeks but thankfully he was OK and it was nice to get it all over and done with in one swoop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now