Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena - cannot lose weight....

(15 Posts)
Looneymum Tue 15-Feb-05 12:27:11

I've read a few threads about people putting on weight after having the coil fitted. I think I probably did put weight on but put it down to post baby stuffing! I have now been extremely virtous. Many weeks of following weightwatchers (although do a bit of a blow out on Saturday nights!). The thing is, it has taken me weeks and weeks to even shift a pound. I am hardly eating anything compared to the amount I used to eat and am so suprised that I cannot shift it. Has anyone else experienced the same, I have booked an appointment to have it removed would love to hear from you.

Toothache Tue 15-Feb-05 12:35:21

Oh GOD don't say that! I had the mirena fitted 5wks ago. DD is 6mths old. I've lost about 4 pounds in the past 2 weeks and I wouldn't say I've been doing much trying. Apart from not downing a bottle of wine 4 nights a week!

I hoped it was going to be a continuous trend as I've got about 2 stone to lose.
TBH I haven't read that much about the coil. Only that it is VERY effective as a contraception.
Is it well known for making you put weight on?

Has weightwatchers worked for you in the past?

Looneymum Tue 15-Feb-05 12:56:34

Well done for losing weight Toothache! I don't think wine counts on the calorie front so I would keep on swilling! I had read that some people gained weight after having the mirena fitted. I have lost some weight but it has taken an absolute age (my DD2 is also 6 mos). I am also going to the gym like a crazy person which doesn't seem to be helping with the weight loss. I cannot think of what else it could be that is stopping it coming off, unless of course you count age (37) and many years of constant dieting! I have done WWs before and it has come off quite quickly....

Toothache Thu 17-Feb-05 08:02:41

Looneymum - I must say that when I was pregnant I was so gutted that I couldn't drink I totally substituted it with cheesecake! Would buy one with the weekly shopping and eat it through the week ("PIGGERY" I hear you cry!). So I suppose the fact that I'm not doing that any more has helped.

But I have 2 stone to lose to be content (2.5 stone until I'm clinically at an ideal weight). I am 12st-ish at the moment..... perhaps slightly under that now. I weigh myself in kilos so I can't convert it to stones and pounds! Too scared to! All I know is that I've lost 2.2kilos in the last 2 or 3 wks. I had the coil fitted 5 weeks ago.

It could be to do with my mood though. I was very unpredictable before....angry/calm...sad/happy. This seems to have levelled me out at relatively stable !

So perhaps it's just that I'm feeling a bit more motivated and not so prone to my usual comfort eating.

Do you have any food intolerance? That can really hinder weight loss. Symptoms can include fatigue and bloating.

Toothache Thu 17-Feb-05 08:03:58

Looneymum - I must say that when I was pregnant I was so gutted that I couldn't drink I totally substituted it with cheesecake! Would buy one with the weekly shopping and eat it through the week ("PIGGERY" I hear you cry!). So I suppose the fact that I'm not doing that any more has helped.

But I have 2 stone to lose to be content (2.5 stone until I'm clinically at an ideal weight). I am 12st-ish at the moment..... perhaps slightly under that now. I weigh myself in kilos so I can't convert it to stones and pounds! Too scared to! All I know is that I've lost 2.2kilos in the last 2 or 3 wks. I had the coil fitted 5 weeks ago.

It could be to do with my mood though. I was very unpredictable before....angry/calm...sad/happy. This seems to have levelled me out at relatively stable !

So perhaps it's just that I'm feeling a bit more motivated and not so prone to my usual comfort eating.

Do you have any food intolerance? That can really hinder weight loss. Symptoms can include fatigue and bloating.

Toothache Thu 17-Feb-05 08:04:57

Oops.... a bit trigger happy with the posting button there!

PinkWebby Thu 17-Feb-05 08:22:48

I had the Mirena button fitted a week and a half a go, I feel like I am having the longest period ever, is this normal.

I am not to happy about the fact that it could make me put on weight.

PinkWebby Thu 17-Feb-05 08:27:41

button sorry I dont know what I am thinking I mean coil.

Oh God I need some coffee

Looneymum Thu 17-Feb-05 10:39:29

Toothache, glad to hear your moods have evened out. Unfortunatley, at the same time I had the coil fitted, I started to take St Johns Wort (although my husband did call it St John's Ambulance!). I was talking to someone yesterday who said that it could be the culprit for the inability to lose weight. I have cancelled my appointment to have the mirena removed and will wait a month or two to see if I have dropped any weight. If I do, I can put this down to St Johns.

Looneymum Thu 17-Feb-05 10:42:31

PinkWebby - I too had the "guiness book of periods"! Mine lasted for about 2 months! I gather some people's goes on for six months - what a nightmare. Hopefully it will lessen for you soon. As you will see from my previous post I have cancelled removal of Mirena in the hope that stopping taking St Johns Wort will kick start my well deserved weight loss!

Toothache Thu 17-Feb-05 11:42:39

PMSL @ Mirena Button!!

I have been spotting for about 5wks! Apparently this is common, but after 2 or 3mths it calms down..... then most women don't bleed at all after that.

Ah Looneymum - St Johns Wort really affects your hormone levels. Hopefully that'll be the answer. It would be a shame to go through the fitting of it (OUCH!), just to have it removed again.

Looneymum Thu 17-Feb-05 14:36:07

Toothache - have you also heard stuff about St Johns Wort. I cannot find anything adverse about it on the net apart from that it probably doesn't do anything! It would be great if it is the answer, then I can stop going to the gym a zillion times a week...! I am also 12 stone and should be a good couple of stone lighter - are you following any particular diet? DD2 is 6 months old now - I wonder how long you can use them as an excuse for chubbiness - perhaps until they are 16!

Toothache Thu 17-Feb-05 14:43:28

lol Looneymum - I was already still carrying a stone from Ds and he's 3.5yrs old!!

My friend is a pharmacist and explained to me why you can't take St Johns Wort during pregnancy. It effects your hormone levels in much the same way as some of the newer Antidepressants... I think, but not as strong. I had PND after my ds was born and wanted to take StJohns Wort toward the end of my pregnancy with dd to help avoid is again, but it was a big NO!

I'm not following a diet. I love my food and really rebel against diets. I went to Scottish Slimmers for 3 weeks. I stopped going when the woman said about Scottish Slimmer trifles..."THere's no such thing as real custard in our lives now girls, is there!?".

I do eat a huge amount, especially in my evening meal. I am under no illusions as to why I'm over weight..... in fact I'm surprised I'm not bigger. So I've been cutting down on portion sizes (normal bowl of pasta, rather than a mountain!). And I've been drinking lots of fizzy water to pack me out. I find that really works. If I drink it at mealtime, I eat less.

.... oh and of course there's the weekly cheesecake....

maybe we can help each other! We have the same amount to lose.... and babies the same age! What do you think?

foxinsocks Thu 17-Feb-05 14:49:47

I had it fitted around 6 weeks ago (mainly for heavy periods but also contraceptive purposes). I was warned that I would possibly bleed for 3 months - I think the bleeding is supposed to be worse if you had heavy periods beforehand. I have just stopped bleeding now though it does feel like I'm about to get another period (oh joy!). I also had very sore boobs for the first few weeks.

I went to check it was fitted properly at the docs and she said most of the symptoms (including the bleeding) should start fading by the 3 month mark. I too have lost a bit of weight (with zero effort) so I can't say it's had an effect on my weight yet but I do remember another thread where people had thought it may have contributed to weight gain.

I must say though, in terms of contraception, it's about the best thing I've ever had!

Looneymum Thu 17-Feb-05 15:00:50

Toothache - talking about portion size, I remember a friend of mine (not me honestly) who couldn't find a bowl big enough to put their cereal in, so used a wok! I'm not quite that bad, but have been known to eat full cakes/cheesecakes in one sitting. Perhaps it's nowt to do with this bird Mirena after all! My DD2 is also 3. Do you manage alright with the age gap? I find it quite hard as DD1 is rather demanding (massive understatement) whereas DD2 is placid (although that could change in month or two). Good idea on helping each other out on the weight loss. We are off to Oasis in Penrith in a couple of weeks... aaaarrrgghhh the dreaded swimming cozzy - not to mention all those bits that could do with a waxing - may need to go for long-legged cozzy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now