Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ds1 is a scrawny thing. how do I fatten him up?

(16 Posts)
KerryMum Sat 16-Aug-08 11:03:20

I was always skin and bones when I was a kid and most of my adulthood and there wasn't anything physically wrong with me but ds1 was in a pool with all these other kids around his own age and he was just so SCRAWNY. It was really noticeable.

He's got tons and tons of allergies and asthma and eczema. So it's hard to feed him. But he does eat.

He did recently shoot up a bit.

saadia Sat 16-Aug-08 11:23:12

add a bit of olive oil or butter to everything - not to fruit of course. As he has allergies I'm not sure if he can have peanut butter but I add that to my DSS' porridge - I read that they give it to severely malnourished children. If he eats otherwise healthily then give him a doughnut or other high-fat treat every now and then.

Pannacotta Sat 16-Aug-08 11:34:38

Agree on adding butter and olive oil, they both make veg taste nicer too.
How about also adding grated cheese to things too, such as baked beans or steamed veg?
Things like lasagne/baked pasta are good (can be made gluten and dairy free dep on his allergies), home made kebabs in pitta with sauce/mayo, roast chicken with roast veg and creamy gravy.
I give things like organic ice cream or home made cake as pudding, not keen on things like doughnuts/pastries as they tend to contain hydrogenated fats which are not healthy.
If he can have nuts they are a good, healthy source of protein and fat - and cakes (esp choc) made with gound almonds are lovely.

domesticslattern Sat 16-Aug-08 11:36:55

How old is your ds? My friend's paediatrician advised fish fingers, chips, butter, ice cream - really! We were surprised shock She said that is how she fattened up her own small child, and that things we think of as "high-fat treats" for adults are quite sensible for low weight children.

KerryMum Sat 16-Aug-08 11:39:03

he is 9, turning 10 end of november.

he's severely allergic to:

dairy, nuts, eggs

as well as:

wheat, soy, most grains, beans, pulses, citric fruits, garlic, and more.

TheProvincialLady Sat 16-Aug-08 11:49:50

Avocado? I make dairy free ice cream for my intolerant DS:

2 avocado
2 bananas
Handful of strawberries or whatever soft fruit he likes
Splash of soya/rice/oat milk if it is too thick
Tablespoon of honey

Whizz up in the blender and freeze in hose ice lolly makers. Goes down a treat with DS and I actually really like it too.

sarah293 Sat 16-Aug-08 11:53:14

Message withdrawn

Pannacotta Sat 16-Aug-08 12:21:37

Is he ok with any goats products?
You can getg nice dairy free ice cream in Waitrose and also you can get dairy free chocs too.
You could make (eggless) cake with gluten free spellt four or rice four or ground almonds instead of wheat.
He can still hve the roast I suggested as well and gluten/dairy free lasagne, Sainsburys has a good choice of dairy/wheat free procuts.

sarah293 Sat 16-Aug-08 12:41:52

Message withdrawn

KerryMum Sat 16-Aug-08 13:17:22

he is deadly allergic to dairy, nuts and eggs. He is due for a follow-up with pediatrician. He also has a heart murmur and he's due for check-ups. They have never mentioned any worries about his weight before. He's very tall. Last time gp said he was average for weight and very high percentile for height (can't remember). But surely if he's very tall if his weight is average he'd be scrawny if that makes sense.

The trouble is he's picky on top of everything else. It makes me want to scream sometimes.

haven't tried goat products in 7 years. am nervous about it though I have to admit. his overall ige levels are very high. sad and his asthma kicked up all week last week.

I do make a banana cake they like. Have been desperately trying to source amaranth flour locally as my mum hasn't sent any from the states in ages. It's the only thing that works with rice flour to make it nice i've found and I've tried everything.

his poos have been very slimy lately. as have mine. I'm wondering if we have parasites sad but no other symptoms.

psychomum5 Sat 16-Aug-08 13:27:01

some children just are scrawny tho, regardless of what they eat, or don;t eat.

my DS1 and 2 right now look scrawny......you can see their spines and count all their ribs, and their shoulder bones protude quite shockingly when they are topless......but you know, they eat well within the guidelines of their diets (DS2 has finally been found to be lactose allergic....finally after me knowing something was wrong!), and I let them eat whenever they want....and fill them with icecream (soya in the case of DS2), each night.

and lots of biscuits, and yoghurts, and smoothies, and cereal as often as they want. they clearly are haivng enough as they don;t sleep more than they should (or as much as I would want them too eitherhmm, but that is another rant entirely).

he is the age too when most boys do go skinny, it is just that in todays society so many kiddies are more 'well covered' that the scrawny ones are more obvious.

sarah293 Sat 16-Aug-08 13:47:24

Message withdrawn

KerryMum Sat 16-Aug-08 14:07:49

i hope so.

he looked so skinny next to all the other boys. Like psycho said, you could count all his ribs and spine, etc.

sad

sarah293 Sat 16-Aug-08 14:09:46

Message withdrawn

nooka Sat 16-Aug-08 14:21:34

What did your dh look like at that age? As you were skinny too, I suspect you probably shouldn't worry too much. My ds is tall and very skinny (all his bones stick out, shoulders, knees, ankles, the lot) but eats an absolute ton and is very energetic (has problems keeping still). We recently took the children to have check ups (required annually in the US for no good reason) and the doctor was delighted with him. Said how nice it was to see children who weren't fat...

Does your son have plenty of energy, sleep well and is able to concentrate on whatever he needs to? If yes, then stop worrying. He may well be healthier (weight wise) than the kids you saw him with at the pool.

If not then can you get him to be more energetic, as that will drive his appetite and may put some muscle on his frame.

asteamedpoater Sun 17-Aug-08 21:37:08

My son is very tall and skinny, too (about 80th centile in height and just under the 25th for weight). However, he is otherwise healthy and energetic, and looks the spitting image of his dad (nearly 6'3'' and weighs 11 stone). Some kids are born to be skinny. Very surprised to have had a 2nd son who is petite, with weight and height more or less in proportion, though! And their appetites are pretty much the same, too. No-one has ever commented adversely on either of my sons' weight - both stayed pretty much on their weight curves from birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now