Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump in breast to be investigated next week - what to expect?

(15 Posts)
Berrie Sat 16-Aug-08 09:36:31

I saw gp with lump yesterday and I have an appointment at the breast unit on Wednesday.
The Doctor mentioned a mammogram or ultrasound and possibly a biopsy.
I am wondering how long am I likely to be there? (childcare issues)
My husband wants to come too. Would that be appropriate? I don't really have feelings either way but I suppose if they told me something bad it would be nice to have him there.
Also we were supposed to be going away on Wednesday evening for the bank holiday weekend. Do you think I am likely to need to see anyone or get results or something before the week after?

Fanlight Sat 16-Aug-08 09:48:31

Sorry not to know anything much, but bumping for you x

HereComeTheGirls Sat 16-Aug-08 09:50:10

I'm not sure about first appointments but when my mum has her annual check up (she had a mastectomy 3 years ago) they look at the mammogram at her appointment so are able to set her mind at rest on the day, hope its the same for you!!

Fanlight Sat 16-Aug-08 09:51:26

My friend had a mammogram and I went with her but stayed outside with her son. I think they might allow your partner in though.

She had a biopsy at the same time and the whole thing took about an hour and a half, because she had to wait around in between.

Berrie Sat 16-Aug-08 10:12:59

Thanks all.
Fanlight do you know how long the results took?

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Sat 16-Aug-08 10:25:21

i remember having a biopsy and a scan. obviously with the nhs there is a certain amount of hanging about but i remember being impressed that they took the biopsy and give me the result later on that day.

i went on my own. everything was fine. i did think the consultant was a patronising arse but i think that is the nature of the beasts.

Berrie Sat 16-Aug-08 10:26:32

grin

madcol Sat 16-Aug-08 10:43:59

Depends on site of lump and your age. May go with soemthing called fine needle aspiration which is fairly striaght forward. Needle into lump wiggled around cells sucked out.

Would allow up to 2 weeks to get formal report of a cytology ( cell sample) result.

Berrie Sat 16-Aug-08 10:52:15

Gosh that's a long time sad

Fanlight Sat 16-Aug-08 10:53:29

Sorry I missed your question, they told her on the spot I think - she had had cancer of the ovary already and was concerned, but luckily they found nothing smile

kiddiz Sat 16-Aug-08 12:01:14

This very much depends on your health authority. I was referred by gp with a lump on an urgent referral which means you should be seen within 2 weeks. I was seen on the very last day possible so the hospital complied with this target. All that happened at that appointment was that a junior doctor examined the lump and said I needed a mammogram, ultrasund and maybe a biopsy to diagnose the lump. He said that would be within a week but it was actually nearer 2. The radiologist said the lump was a large, complex cyst which I then waited a further 3 weeks to have drained by which time my body had absorbed the fluid and the lump had almost gone!!
I believed from what my gp said that all tests would be done at the first appointment but in my case that was definately not the case. I finally got a letter confirming the diagnosis made by the radiographer at the end of July nearly 3 months after I was first referred.
The cyst is likely to recur so I will in future no doubt have to go through all this again because GP has told me not to assume any further lumps are cysts even though this is the most likely thing.
I hope everthing is much speedier for you and everything turns out well

seb1 Sat 16-Aug-08 12:13:54

My friend took her DH with her on the day she went to the clinic (DCs at school) she had ultrasound, mammogram and biopsy, the doctor told her then and there he was pretty certain it was suspect, this was confirmed the following evening (she left DCs with me for that appointment) and her op was one week later. So it can all be very quick.

seb1 Sat 16-Aug-08 12:15:05

If you can have someone there I think it helps as they can listen and ask question if needed.

Berrie Sat 16-Aug-08 14:20:07

Thankyou Seb, that is an encouraging story.
Kiddz, not so great. May I ask what shape you cyst felt like?

seb1 Wed 20-Aug-08 19:26:36

Berrie, hope today went ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now