Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH is covered in a really weird rash - does chicken pox show up differently in adults???

(59 Posts)
Flamesparrow Fri 15-Aug-08 22:44:43

The kids have both had/are having chicken pox this fortnight.

He's never had it.

He's been feeling off for a few days, had one pox-like spot, but nothing else.

Now he is covered all over his back and chest with a weird rash - it looks like a pressure mark from when you have been leaning on a bobbly blanket/german measles?!?! He has had german measles.

It doesn't look like pox unless it is the very start and they haven't raised yet.

I'm worried

He's tired, and has been off colour for a few days.

MegBusset Fri 15-Aug-08 22:47:13

Could it be an allergic reaction to something? Has he got a temperature -- according to my GP if there's no temp then it's not a viral rash.

LynetteScavo Fri 15-Aug-08 22:47:21

Shingles?

LynetteScavo Fri 15-Aug-08 22:48:00

To be honest, I think you'd get a better answer form NHS direct, than from Mumsnet.

solidgoldbrass Fri 15-Aug-08 22:50:01

I'd second shingles - has he ever had chicken pox? The shingles rash is different and it also hurts btw. Google 'rashes, adults' and you will find some sites with delightful piccies on.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 15-Aug-08 22:50:11

I've had CP as an adult and it was a proper CP rash.

Flamesparrow Fri 15-Aug-08 22:52:18

Never had CP so can't be shingles can it? will google.

MN is normally better than NHS direct wink

AvenaLife Fri 15-Aug-08 22:55:18

Chicken pox can be very nasty in adults so he needs to see a doctor. Are his spots itchy/raised?

psychomum5 Fri 15-Aug-08 22:55:59

hmmm.......I was rashy and just one spot with my chicken pox

and crappy feeling

he may need antivirul meds, altho not sure if they don;t only give them to people at high risk......

Flamesparrow Fri 15-Aug-08 22:56:50

shock googled images - that looks like measles!!!

Flamesparrow Fri 15-Aug-08 23:01:00

He is asleep now - will see how he looks in the morning and go from there

AvenaLife Fri 15-Aug-08 23:01:51

They start off looking the same, cp spots turn into blisters, measles spread out and join together.

I bet he's feeling like shit. Are they itchy?

Flamesparrow Fri 15-Aug-08 23:05:58

not itchy yet.

He's been feeling fluish for a few days - and genuine with it so I have been giving some sympathy wink

LurkerOfTheUniverse Fri 15-Aug-08 23:10:08

my dp had cp a couple of years ago

was very poorly, dr gave him anti-virals

AvenaLife Fri 15-Aug-08 23:10:12

Poor thing. sad I know someone that sedated her kids when they had cp to stop them scratching. I'm not saying you should do this to dh of course!

It can get very nasty in adults though, both cp and measles start on the stomach, chest and back to get bac to us tomorrow. Contact NHS direct if you are concerned. Plenty of paracetamol and ibuprofen. Poor you. sad another one down.

solidgoldbrass Sat 16-Aug-08 00:34:03

Hmm, fluish plus one suspect spot does kind of suggest that tomorrow he will be crawling with spots and that it is chickenpox. A mild antihistamine is quite helpful for treating it in adults (they used to treat it with Phenergan, which is an antihistamine, in older children - I got given that when I had CP at 12). Otherwise oatmeal bath, calamine, all the stuff you are doing for your DC. It stops being horrible after about 4 days.

Flamesparrow Sat 16-Aug-08 08:21:39

We have just called out of hours doctor - still not proper spots, all flat blotchy rash He is allergic to most antihistamines so is now scared to take them incase they make him ill!

Will update when we know more

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 16-Aug-08 08:26:05

Hope he's ok flame.
MrCSWS's CP was just like dd's fwiw.

Flamesparrow Sat 16-Aug-08 08:29:27

It is really weird! He's on the phone to out of hours now.

Flamesparrow Sat 16-Aug-08 08:33:18

No-one is going to see him.

"Sounds like chicken pox" from a description of a rash that looks nothing like chicken pox.

Not impressed.

It sounded like he heard the kids had pox so just assumed. angry

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 16-Aug-08 08:34:16

Can you do a photo for us to nose at?

Flamesparrow Sat 16-Aug-08 08:35:33

He's not looking convinced....hmm

Spoilsport

cheshirekitty Sat 16-Aug-08 09:02:19

My daughter had cp aged 18. There is a really good site called adult chickenpox. Just google it. Has pics and everything.

RubyRioja Sat 16-Aug-08 09:08:10

Dh had CP at 42. His rash did look different to dds, but they had 6 spots each and he had over 100 on his face alone.

He took a month to recover.

kama Sat 16-Aug-08 09:16:22

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now