Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

come and talk to me about having your wisdom teeth out

(54 Posts)
PeaMcLean Fri 15-Aug-08 17:56:35

Is it really horrible???

Dentist thinks I need it.

Well, he says he's not 100% sure but he's "quite excited by it"! hmm grin

Shall I wait and see if he could be wrong?

I know it's all under anasesthtic so it won't hurt, but it's going to sound pretty awful surely.

Tell me it's fine please.

blackcoffeenosugar Fri 15-Aug-08 18:00:30

Had all of mine out under a local.. just in the dentist chair.. it was no problem.. achey afterwards.. so I choose to eat soft boiled eggs.. when I was hungry.

They just popped out like corks.. and one of them was only half way up as well!!

LynetteScavo Fri 15-Aug-08 18:00:37

My mum came with me.

Teh dentist literally pulled them out with pliers. Very basic. (Although not painful because of the anasthetic)

I remember saying it was the worst thing that had ever happend to me, and my dad saying "Well, you've had an easy life then!"

But I hadn't given birth then. grin

PeaMcLean Fri 15-Aug-08 18:02:09

Popped out like corks????

LOL, I find that very difficult to believe!

JuneBugJen Fri 15-Aug-08 18:09:45

Think I may start charging for advice but...(i'm a dentist!) upper wisdom teeth tend to bea doddle, one flick and they are out.
lowers tend to be less so, unless fully through, on a young(ish) person with nice conical roots.
the injections are the worst bit, but once they are in its just a dull pushing feeling.

hope that helps

PeaMcLean Fri 15-Aug-08 18:14:21

Yes, it is upper.

Am absolutely amazed that they could come out so easily.

I will come back and glare at you all, you know, if it's trickier. You should be worried by that of course.

Like this: angry

wink

Goober Fri 15-Aug-08 18:14:37

Where were you last month JBJ when I had dry socket????????

fishie Fri 15-Aug-08 18:15:45

i had to have mine done in special dental hospital under GA. have pinhead and one had gone right off course.

JuneBugJen Fri 15-Aug-08 18:18:59

Honestly Pea - upper wisdom teeth are a real crowd pleaser, I love it when I have a quivering big bloke in my chair (I am 5'0'' tall!) who is having an upper wissie out. It takes about 30 seconds and it just twangs out (about 95% of the time).

JuneBugJen Fri 15-Aug-08 18:19:26

Oh yes, goober...they are a pretty bastard thing to get. Poor you!

Goober Fri 15-Aug-08 18:21:34

Pea: Please research dry socket first.

JuneBugJen Fri 15-Aug-08 18:23:14

Goober..its rare in upper wisdom teeth. You must have been very unlucky.
Its usually in lower teeth as food etc drops in.Also worse in smokers, people on pill and already infected teeth.

JuneBugJen Fri 15-Aug-08 18:23:56

Goober..its rare in upper wisdom teeth. You must have been very unlucky.
Its usually in lower teeth as food etc drops in.Also worse in smokers, people on pill and already infected teeth.

squeaver Fri 15-Aug-08 18:23:59

And you get super-duper strong painkillers to take afterwards grin

Dottydot Fri 15-Aug-08 18:24:01

I've had 3 out now - two at once when I was about 18 and 1 very recently. All under a local and it wasn't the nicest experience but much worse than giving birth! grin

Over in about 10 minutes - the worst thing was the cracking noise, but it didn't hurt.

I was in shock afterwards though - needed a sit down and TLC for a couple of hours. Was back at work the next day though.

PeaMcLean Fri 15-Aug-08 18:24:22

LOL at "crowd pleaser" I wondered why dentist said he was "quite excited" about it.

Hmm. Do I really want to know about "dry socket"???

JuneBugJen Fri 15-Aug-08 18:25:12

no - its rare in the teeth you are having out!

blackcoffeenosugar Fri 15-Aug-08 18:28:11

LOL yes mine came out like popping corks.. but then.. I was young and had nice roots LOL.

I agree with the injection.. and the noise being the worst bit.

PeaMcLean Fri 15-Aug-08 18:31:43

don't suppose I have a cat in hell's chance of passing for young at 39

JuneBugJen Fri 15-Aug-08 18:35:04

funnily enough...i would put you as young!

PeaMcLean Fri 15-Aug-08 18:36:03

Hurray!!!!!

JuneBugJen is a lovely person isn't she???

grin

misspiggy Fri 15-Aug-08 18:40:28

I had a partially impacted lower wisdom tooth out when I was 23. It came out so easily that I didn't even realise the dentist had removed it (just thought he was prodding around getting ready to yank it out!!) until he asked me if I was ok and did I want to see it! grin

I had much more trouble having a milk tooth out a few years later...urgh!

Good luck!

meglet Fri 15-Aug-08 21:43:34

Getting them out and recovering hurts less than the pain of having them in your jaw.

I had a lower impacted wisdom tooth out last year. It took 40 mins for the dentist to hack it to bits to get it out which was pretty grim, which was not fun. He even called me in the evening to make sure I was ok as he found it tricky to get it out, and this was the NHS! But I was able to gently eat soft food the next day and was pain free within a week.

It's lovely not having to deal with the pain anymore. I want all of them out but they are all impacted into nerves / sinuses (which are risky places to interfere with) so the dentist won't do it unless they really play up.

DrNortherner Fri 15-Aug-08 21:45:47

I had all 4 out in hospital under GA and then developed dry sockets. I wanted to head butt the walls the pain drove me insane.

Then I had to visit my dentist daily so he could stuff vile smelling tabocco like stuff into the gaping holes. It was the worst week of my life.

Worth it though grin

JuneBugJen Fri 15-Aug-08 21:50:25

just come back to this...please stop trying to put her off about dry sockets!Sorry you got them because they are horrible but its not going to happen on easy upper wisdom teeth! (unless she rubs them with soil afterwards!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now