Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rhomatoid arthritis; anyone have it?

(3 Posts)
mindermummy Fri 15-Aug-08 10:31:32

Doc has just told me he thinks i have it.
Wating for results from blood test.

Just wondered if anyone else had it??

And any advive tips??

Thanks

theinsider Fri 15-Aug-08 15:43:56

The national rheumatoid arthrits society website is a great place to start.

Hopefully if you get definitive diagnosis you can start on some medication which will get you feeling a bit better.

Also there are many great aids you can get to help with everyday actions eg opening jars, turning on taps, pouring heavy pans/kettles, holding pens.

this is just one, try googling "aids for arthritis".

vole3 Sun 17-Aug-08 08:33:31

Most of the rheumatoid drugs will take a couple of months to kick in, but the doc should sort you out with pain killers / anti-inflammatories to tide you over in the mean time. Some will also give you a steroid injection, but dependent on how active the inflammation is, this will determine how long you get benefit. Mine lasted a week!!

You will find you take a while to get going in the morning and again if you sit down for any length of time, so learn to factor extra time into your routine and, if possible, get your employer to let you do a job that doesn't involve sitting all the time.

Keep moving; gentle exercise e.g. swimming, walking is good to keep muscles strong and take some of the burden off your joints.

Learn to pace yourself, pain tolerance is lowered when you are tired. I used it as an excuse to give up ironing for 6 months .

Ask for help from family and friends and ask your doc to refer you for physio and occupational therapy for things that will make your life easier (after getting stuck on the loo in the middle of the night as I couldn't get up off the low seat blush).

Try to keep doing the things you enjoy, you are still you even if you have to find new ways of doing stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now