Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know anything about adhesions after c-section?

(8 Posts)
dontbitemytoes Thu 14-Aug-08 20:40:28

About 1 year ago I had emergency c-section giving birth to my dd.

no problems at all since then, scar fading well, no infections etc.

However, I have noticed a faint pain when i move, not all the time, and i can't always feel it, in fact i can't feel it often, but when i do its normally mild like a stitch, but very occasionally a stabbing pain, and its located both ends of my c-section scar.

what is causing this? could it be adhesions? and do i need to see a doctor if its not causing me much pain?

any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Scarletibis Thu 14-Aug-08 20:56:50

I've had 2 emergency C-sections and after the 2nd one the Dr. saw adhesions on my bladder - the catheter was left in for 3 days for that reason though she said it was nothing to worry about ie no real damage.

However, I've had no pain at all in the scar (after the initial healing) - I would see my GP about it if it was me.

Lubyloo Thu 14-Aug-08 21:03:01

I sometimes get a shooting pain that takes my breath away when I get up or move suddenly.

My scar is also fine but I have only noticed the pain since having DD so have put it down to the c-section.

Sorry, that's not a lot of help to you is it!

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 14-Aug-08 21:04:20

I've had adhesions - not from a c-section. Mine caused me some major problems but with no real warning - no scar pain or anything - the original surgery was many years previously. The problem is that even if it is adhesions causing your pain there is little they can do as further surgery can cause further adhesions IYSWIM. Worth a chat with your GP though.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Thu 14-Aug-08 21:07:00

Adhesions usually refer to 'internal' scarring - if there's been damage to organs such as the uterus there can be scar tissue which will mean either the outside or the inside of the uterus will 'stick' together or to other tubes etc inside. It's possible the c-section incision caused damage to the tissue underneath which resulted in scarring, which is causing the pain. It wouldn't do any harm to see the GP and get referred to gynae for a scan if it's bothering you. Check out www.adhesions.org, it's a bit alarming but might give you some useful info.

Beeper Fri 15-Aug-08 17:27:59

I could feel my adhesions breaking down from my c section and my ectopic op in this pregnancy. However in my crash section this time they said I was fine inside, not to messy.

aliasdictus Sun 17-Aug-08 00:17:21

Hi,
whenever an abdomen is opened for whatever cause there may be scarring afterwards causing the intestines to stick together, these are called adhesions. They are more common if the intestines themselves have to be repaired as in appendicitis or injury. A LSCS does not involve operating on the intestines so is less likely to cause adhesions. In any case the pain will be deeply felt and colicky but will NOT be felt in the scar. Your pain is much more likely to be due to muscle under the scar and will probably ease with time, as you say it is mild, faint, not severe and not often. If it gets worse then why not consider seeing your GP then.

dontbitemytoes Sun 17-Aug-08 20:53:23

thanks aliasdictus, thats what i had hoped!!! didnt want the complications from adhesions, and since posting have felt no pain....think i'll leave it for now and visit the docs if it gets worse. thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now