Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How did I miss it?

(16 Posts)
lucy5 Mon 14-Feb-05 21:45:47

My dd aged 4, has been unwell for about 3 weeks, she seems to have caught every bug going. She has been sent home from nursery and they told me she was lethargic. It was only yesterday when she asked to come home from the park that I finally clicked, Glanduar fever has returned. All the symptoms were there, (the doctor confirmed it today) but I just didnt see it. I feel awful, it was so obvious but ive been so caught up in hating being a working mum that I just didnt see it.

Frizbe Mon 14-Feb-05 21:51:35

hey don't be down on yourself, its quite easy to forget that kids somtimes do catch everything going for whatever reason, and you had no reason to suspect the old Glandular F until she'd caught a few things in a row, and then you spotted it and got confirmation, your a great mum, who loves her dd lots, big hugs {{hugs}} and feel free to tell us about work if you want to?

lucy5 Mon 14-Feb-05 21:52:31

Thankyou Frizbe, you bought a tear to my eye.

Frizbe Mon 14-Feb-05 21:54:25

yikes, didn't mean to do that! hope dd gets better soon, I know gf can drag on....(been on the receiving end myself) hope your ok too?

marthamoo Mon 14-Feb-05 21:55:02

When I was 5 I had a big operation to correct my Achilles tendons (Spina Bifida Occulta - long story). When I got out of hospital I kept saying I felt poorly, wouldn't eat etc. My Mum thought it was attention seeking as I had spent so much time in hospital and was completely unsympathetic. One night I wouldn't eat my dinner - she got very mad at me - made me eat some and I threw up all over everyone's meals. She took me to the GP out of sheer desperation. He lifted up my top to listen to my chest and said "had you not noticed how yellow she is?" I was bright yellow. I had contracted Hepatitis A (yellow jaundice) while in hospital and was really quite poorly.

Moral of the story: don't beat yourself up about it, you are not the first Mum to miss something and you won't be the last, I have long forgiven my Mum and your dd will forgive you too! Hope she feels better soon.

lucy5 Mon 14-Feb-05 22:14:38

Dd is not as bad as she was first time round and youre right I am beating myself up. I just feel incredibly guilty about everything now I've gone back to work. I know lots of people have to do it but im sort of cornered because we are living in a new country and being a teacher, i found fulltime work whereas dh hasnt. So ive got to carry on until the situation changes and am feeling very critical of myself and the effect on dd. Gf is just about the last straw. Sorry for whinging, i'm even depressing myself now ,hahaha

Frizbe Mon 14-Feb-05 22:20:44

so which country are you in then?? maybe one of us will be nearby to lend an ear/hand?

lucy5 Mon 14-Feb-05 22:26:05

Im in Spain.

Frizbe Mon 14-Feb-05 22:26:51

ah you need senorapostraphe then, she should be around here somewhere!

lucy5 Mon 14-Feb-05 22:28:29

Yes ive chatted with her a few times. I'll be ok tommorrow, just feeling sorry for myself and dd of course.

Frizbe Mon 14-Feb-05 22:34:57

ah, glad you've 'met'! I can only imagine what it must be like, to have moved and to be 'starting over' as it were, I imagine it must be very good, but very daunting, and money/work worries don't help at all, but in the long run you'll be fine, have you had a read of the moving countries thread, lurking on here today, some sound advice from lots of expats all over the place! ( I myself can only dream, as we can't move too far away from ss, or we won't see him, and I can't deny him his Dad) {{HUGS}} I hope after a good nights sleep you both feel a lot more optimistic

lucy5 Mon 14-Feb-05 22:40:10

Thanks, I know weve made the right move. Im not homesick but friend sick. I cant face talking to best friend at moment. Weve been here a year, so i think reality is setting in. Someone on the moving country thread talked about stages, so i hope im going through one. Its nice you are so considerate about your ss, hes a lucky boy.

Frizbe Mon 14-Feb-05 22:41:32

hey, talk to your best friend! that's what they're there for! I'd post a dodgy circular I got today about real friends, but I've deleted it!

lucy5 Mon 14-Feb-05 22:44:18

oh god those circulars are awful, arent they? Cant believe that anyone who knows me , would actually send me one. Do you get the anti men ones as well?

Frizbe Mon 14-Feb-05 22:56:40

on the odd occasion yes! scarey innit! righty enuf for tonight, I must go to bed.....beauty sleep very muchly needed! hope you feel better in the morning (and here am I thinking you'll have some sunshine, whilst we're looking at grey very cold and windy skys, now that's why you've emmigrated!) nite!

lucy5 Mon 14-Feb-05 23:00:08

Thanks for letting me moan. I now im lucky with the weather. Night night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now