Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump on chest - cracked ribs - anorexia.

(21 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Thu 14-Aug-08 08:48:51

fucking hell.

a while ago i found a lump on my chest, wasnt too worried as it wasnt in my breast and it was hard. went to see gp who sent for an xray, thinking i may have cracked my ribs, but was shocked that i hadnt felt anything. any hoo went for my xray and will get results in 3w, spoke to my EDT yesterday and he said that it makes sense. when I had my BDS infeb my bone density was very, very low, and he's almost certain (IF it is a cracked rib or two) that its as result of my evil twin messing with me.

i dont know what anyone can say, im just really fed up. i manage to block out most symptoms (my hair falling out is becuse i dyed it, being cold is the change in weather) but im cross with myself for being so weak and worried that i have done myself some major damage.

fuck.

Elibean Thu 14-Aug-08 10:28:26

lissielou, you need to get some help - what is your GP suggesting?

RubyRioja Thu 14-Aug-08 10:30:02

you poor old thing.
I believe there is fantastic help out there to tackle this illness, but you have to fight hard for it - bummer when you are least able to fight imo. DO you have an advocat to badger until you get the help you need?

OracleInaCoracle Thu 14-Aug-08 11:34:52

im already seeing an EDT (eating distrees therapist) and i have been since ds was born 3.5y ago and i had pnd, which brought he anorexia up again.

tbh, ive lived with this for a long time now, started when i was 6, got bad when i was 9 ad at 14 was hospitalised on the verge of organ failure. i have lived uneasily alongside this for so long now that when i have another bout i just manage it as best as i can. the prob is that i lose weight vvvv quickly. recently i dropped 2 dress sizes in just over a week, and this in itself puts a lot of strain on my bones.

RubyRioja Thu 14-Aug-08 16:42:31

Crikey - is there anything that reliably works for you? Can supplements to help nutritionally be tolerated?

lou031205 Thu 14-Aug-08 17:13:31

lissielou, I couldn't see this and ignore. What a huge shock for you. I don't want to seem insensitive, and I know it isn't really any of my business, but I see you on the TTC boards, and if your body is already in this state, is it wise to even contemplate pregnancy? You have experienced it, with your DS, but I know that for many women, the toll it takes on their bodies is huge, let alone when they are already not on top form.

That aside (and I am truly sorry if I have caused you offence), is there any way they can speed up the results? Three weeks seems a long time to wait. Are you taking calcium supplements, or anything?

I really feel for you, because I am sure that your description of an evil twin is completely accurate - the real lissielou knows what is going on and that it is bad for her body. The 'evil twin' is taking control.

I hope that you get the support you need to kick the evil twin into her rightful place xx

OracleInaCoracle Thu 14-Aug-08 18:07:39

no offence taken. its just that i know that things probably arent going to get any better. im so shocked. i know that i lose weight, i know that my breath smells, i know that all these nasty things happen, but didnt think that my bones would ever weaken that much!

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 14-Aug-08 18:12:51

Message withdrawn

OracleInaCoracle Thu 14-Aug-08 18:41:47

i can slow things down by increasing calcium, but afaik its not reversable and will get worse. feck, didnt expect to be worrying about osteoporosis at 30.

RubyRioja Thu 14-Aug-08 18:43:29

Well it makes sense to halt it af at all poss. Myfriend was was an undiagnosed coeliac suffers similarly. She is now super fit and healthy as she does approriate exercise and eats correct diet for her.

Not hopeless. Do you think you can get back on even keel quickly?

OracleInaCoracle Thu 14-Aug-08 18:47:00

my weight is currently ok, but this latest development is the result of over 20y of starving myself when things got tough. and because oestrogen naturally decreases past 30 its not looking great.

sorry, i know i should be more optimistic, but im so upset.

RubyRioja Thu 14-Aug-08 19:12:57

Oh dear, but it is all downhill after 30 for all of us!

I am sure you are upset, but try not to let that get in the way of taking care of yourself in the future.

Loads of 30yo with high cholesterol or blood pressure. Can you do weight bearing exercise to protect bones?

RubyRioja Thu 14-Aug-08 19:13:22

sorry that sounds gung ho. I don't mean it to

lou031205 Thu 14-Aug-08 19:50:32

Lissielou, when you put it like that, I can see why you are TTC. Thanks for taking my question as it was intended.

Do you have a dietician, who can advise you about getting as much calcium as possible in your diet without pushing you to a point where you feel out of control? I am thinking of things like beans, pulses, etc.

What is your hormonal balance like, ATM? I take it you are under fertility docs, is there anything they could tweak to enhance your conception chances and halt your decreasing bone density at the same time?

LilRedWG Thu 14-Aug-08 19:58:16

Oh Lis

TheProvincialLady Thu 14-Aug-08 20:15:03

Lissielou I am really sorry you have had this happen. As a fellow sufferer all I can say is that you really have to concentrate 100% on your permanent recovery now. You have no leeway for backsliding. It is shit and hard and I hope I don't sound patronising, but please please do all you can.

I had a similar diagnosis (not as extreme) 6 years ago and have kept my bone density at the same level as then, which is good because it naturally declines as we get older. There are also some drugs you can take that will help. If you keep a healthy weight and take the calcium/other drugs and do some weight bearing exercise then hopefully you will be the same. But don't forget there are other internal issues like your heart that might be affected - you must get a full check up done. Look after yourselfsmile

madcol Thu 14-Aug-08 20:23:02

Have you had your thyroid function and vitamin D levels checked. Both can effect bone density and strength.

Also if you are TTC you amy need your folic acid levels checked as standard supplement levels may not be enough.

Sorry to get all medical about it. Good luck

OracleInaCoracle Fri 15-Aug-08 08:10:57

thanks all. i suppose im still in shock here. i had my thyroid etc checked quite recently as part of my fertility tests, not taking any hormones yet because i get pg relatively easily, but mc. for this reason the cons wants to start me on heparin (or simillar) the next time i get pg. unfortunately this weakens the bones further, which increases my risks of oesteoporosis even further. i know i need a full mot though. my kidney and liver function have both never fully recovered and my kidney in partic is in pretty poor condition.

Fanlight Fri 15-Aug-08 16:44:29

Lissie it's not the end of the world pet.

I have osteoporosis - I was anorexic for several years in my twenties - oestrogen stopped while my periods stopped, but when I started to eat again they came back.

My mother used to say 'Oh my goodness you can't have a baby, your kidneys will fail' and it made me furious...I did have two babies and am still alive smile

I was prescribed Fosamax at first (long before I conceived) and tried taking it for a few weeks but it was hideous as you needed to drink a full glass of water with it and remain upright for half an hour - I got awful heartburn, it was actually dangerous for your oesophagus etc. which just put the fear into me, considering I was drinking about a glass of water a day at that point...anyway Dr said, Ok, if you can't take it, don't take it - if your periods have started again, that means you'll be getting oestrogen again and you'll be Ok.

I wasn't deep into the osteoporosis - borderline/only just in there, so not too much of a worry. I still worry a bit about my bones but tbh with periods etc going on, you won't be losing any more density.

It's having the hormone circulating in your body that will help.

HTH a bit xx

Fanlight Fri 15-Aug-08 16:46:10

Disclaimer - I haven't had a bone scan for about 8 years so I might be very wrong! But have not broken any bones x

OracleInaCoracle Fri 15-Aug-08 17:08:22

thank you. thats really helped smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now