Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD not even keeping water down - advice please!!

(15 Posts)
Surfermum Mon 14-Feb-05 19:41:36

DD, 20m, was sick (and then some) at lunchtime. She had a sleep this afternoon and since then she can't even keep drinks down and now sips of water are coming back. Other than that she's not got a temp and is fine in herself - not right, but not worryingly so.

I'm hopeless when she's ill as I tend to start off being fairly chilled about it, and then later panic in case I'm missing something and end up phoning the doctor.

Please, please please can I have some wise mumsnetters advice. It's the first time ever she's been vomiting like this. What would you all do?

clairabelle Mon 14-Feb-05 19:43:31

Hi sorry to hear your dd is feeling poorly. Is she still having wet nappies?

Surfermum Mon 14-Feb-05 19:45:29

Yes, still wet.

gingernut Mon 14-Feb-05 19:52:35

My ds had a vomiting bug where he couldn't keep even water down at the beginning. Nothing stayed down for about 12 hours I think, although it might have been more but less than 24 hours. Then he started drinking again, although he couldn't keep food down for several days. He was very listless and I was pretty worried but he was OK. The docs advice was to keep offering sips of water when he wanted it and hope some stays down. Usually they start drinking again quite soon. If she continues not to be able to keep down water for any longer than a day, I'd say consult a doctor. Look out for signs of dehydration. Hope she is better soon.

clairabelle Mon 14-Feb-05 19:53:06

Try not to worry too much then just keep trying her with sips of water or juice whatever she will drink, hopefully it's a 24hour thing.

paolosgirl Mon 14-Feb-05 20:10:50

I'd just wait and see for the next 12 hours or so. As long as she's having wet nappies I think it's OK, but if she still can't keep any water down by tomorrow lunchtime, I'd phone the doctor. Is OK apart from vomiting? No sore heads, rash etc?

Surfermum Mon 14-Feb-05 20:17:12

Thanks. I'm still in the "she's fine, it's just a bug" chilled stage. I'll worry then if it goes on longer than 24 hrs.

The last time she was properly ill was on holiday. She had a bit of a temp and a rash on her face that I thought was teething. I kept looking at her playing happily on the beach saying "she's fine". We got back to the hotel and put her in the bath and she was head to foot in rash! We hadn't seen the rest of the rash as she had been in a wet suit. Ended up at Newquay Hospital - but all was well as it was just viral. I swore after that not to be so complacent as it was a very worrying hour!

Blooming nightmare being a mum isn't it?

Surfermum Mon 14-Feb-05 20:18:10

No, PG - no rash and she doesn't seem to be in any pain. In between being sick she's almost completely normal.

bambi06 Mon 14-Feb-05 20:20:40

try giving her cooled boiled water or room temp water as that often stays down better

Polgara2 Mon 14-Feb-05 21:09:39

IME water on its own doesn't stay down when they've got tummy bug. Try making some ice cubes with her favourite juice (obviously much weaker than usual though) in it for her to suck. This way she's getting some fluids as well.
I've always found that 24 hours is the time needed before giving anything else otherwise you are just feeding the bug.

Surfermum Wed 16-Feb-05 12:29:40

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the ice cubes. It's now 2 days later and she's still bring up her fluids. We've been to the docs and they say it's a virus. They recommended flat lemonade, but also said that if she wants to eat/drink let her as if she drinks 50mls and brings up 45mls at least she's had some. Great! They're not doing all the washing!!

They've also asked me to get a urine sample from her. They're having a laugh! How on earth do I do that? She's 21m and still in nappies.

colditzmum Wed 16-Feb-05 12:39:43

Surfermum, try putting a clean flannel in her nappy, then you can wringe the wee out of it when it is wet

Carameli Wed 16-Feb-05 12:52:35

my dd had something like this in Nov. She would not keep anything down and I ended up in A&E with her as she got really dehydrated. They were great and gave me some great tips.
They said like others here to keep her off everything for at least 24hrs. We were told to use dioralyte rehydration fluids through a syringe. At first just giving tiny tiny 1-2ml every minute to see if she keeps that down.
then just increasing the amount gradually.

It was really took time and patience doing this but it worked wonderfully. After about three days doing this she was back to eating little bit of dry bread.

Any questions just ask. Its horrible when this happens.

If they want a urine samply I would definitely go with the flannel in the nappy. My dd had a horrid bag stuck onto her in her hospital. I felt SO sorry for her when they had to take it off and its was like a plaster around the edges to keep it in place.

Surfermum Wed 16-Feb-05 18:49:32

The flannel was a top tip Colditzmum. Thanks! The doctor was impressed at your ingenuity.

colditzmum Wed 16-Feb-05 21:23:01

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now