Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any DENTAL experts? I think my nearly 3 year old has a cavity and I feel dreadful about it

(14 Posts)
FrazzledFairyFay Wed 13-Aug-08 19:15:25

I have looked at my 2.11 DD's back bottom molar and it has a quite large brown mark on the biting surface, which I am assuming is a cavity? I thought I'd been really careful with her teeth, she always brushes twice a day and although she does have some sweets and sugary treats they are treats, not a major part of her diet.

When she last saw the dentist, 6 months ago, he said she had soft enamel. I've made her an appointment for Monday morning.

I feel terrible, what have I done wrong?

TurkeyLurkey Wed 13-Aug-08 19:18:50

There is a poster called Comeoveneer to look out for who is a dentist. I'll keep my beady Turkey eyes out for you.

goblinvalley Wed 13-Aug-08 19:21:35

Probably absolutely nothing - it happens smile

Don't worry about it. Just book an appointment and get the dentist to check.

My ds has a cavity filled when he was 4 and i was mortified - kept thinking how he must think i was a dreadful mother who never cleaned her childs teeth. A raisin pip was the culprit that had got stuck between his teeth.

Good luck with the dentist.

JuneBugJen Wed 13-Aug-08 19:25:40

Im a dentist.
Probably is decay if it has recently appeared, but get your own one to check it out.

Don't beat yourself up. My dd (age 4 has an early decay lesion which I am keeping an eye on.)
It probably is a combination of diet and being a nightmare to brush a wee ones teeth. Just cut down on all sugar, especially in drinks. This is what I have to do. Tell this to anyone who cares for her too. Only sweets once a week if poss. (unless a party etc)

Don't panic her too much about going to the dentist, keep it light and fun otherwise she will pick up on your stress. you will be ok)

whatdayisit Wed 13-Aug-08 19:31:56

Really JuneBug, sweets more than once a week is too much? I think I'm quite good that mine don't have them everyday blush When you say sweets, do you mean a sweet or a packet? My Dc's are used to having one or two at a time, they never get given a whole pack, does that make a difference?

Good luck Frazzled. My DS1 had to have part of a tooth drilled away yesterday because it was interfering with the new tooth coming through next to it. He's so proud that he was so brave and "it didn't hurt at all"

Twiglett Wed 13-Aug-08 19:35:25

but the dentist has already pointed out she had an issue with her enamel, which is an increasingly frequent occurrence for some reason .. did he seal her teeth at all to help protect them?

there is nothing you could have done to prevent this. So calm down you have done nothing wrong

My DS had incomplete enamel on molars and had his first filling at under 3 .. there is no link with adult teeth

juice and fruit munching away from mealtimes is quite a culprit too

JuneBugJen Wed 13-Aug-08 19:35:26

No, its not too much to aim for...but the reality is if you aim for it, life gets in the way and it usually turns out to be more often anyhow!grin

It doesn't matter how many you have, its the frequency and what they are.
If dd is having them now I give her choc buttons and let her snarf the whole lot. Damage done and over. Sticky sweets, lollies = nightmare

JuneBugJen Wed 13-Aug-08 19:37:39

Can't seal them age 3 Twiglett.

Don't really agree nothing can be done... take as a potential warning and really cut down on the sugar. Even if a child has weak enamel they can be decay free if on a very low sugar diet.

But dont be a killjoy FFF, some sugar ok but just take as warning to cut right down.

Twiglett Wed 13-Aug-08 19:39:23

can floss duraphat through molar contacts

JuneBugJen Wed 13-Aug-08 19:41:31

True in some cases (score on the knowledge!! can you come be my assistant!), but sounds like its on surface, the duraphat doesnt seal the tooth, just give extra fluoride to surface, which does help. I hope its what they are able to do tomorrow

JuneBugJen Wed 13-Aug-08 19:43:18

hope that helps..dont worry and dont think you are a bad mother!!!! The dentist certainly wont!

Twiglett Wed 13-Aug-08 19:45:16

smug maternal grin of experience

ib Wed 13-Aug-08 19:50:06

Slight hijack seeing as there's a dentist here ... does replacing sugar with xylitol help?

FrazzledFairyFay Wed 13-Aug-08 20:48:52

Thanks so much everyone, you have made me feel much better.

The dentist didn't do anything, just told me to watch her diet and tooth brushing, which I do. She does eat a lot of fruit snacks, which I'll try and cut down on.

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now