Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hospital or no hospital?

(10 Posts)
SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 13-Aug-08 18:32:44

dd1 is at my mums and have just had a call to say that she has bumped her head while running riot as per usual.

according to my mum there is a small cut on her head and a huge bump, but she is acting fine in herself, no sleepiness no sickness.

my mum said my sister has had concussion twice and went to sleep straight away and was difficult to wake dd is not like that at all.

can you get delayed concussion? is it a trip to a and e? or keep an eye on her for concussion symptoms?

Lovemyshoes Wed 13-Aug-08 18:34:52

If there was a cut and a large bump I would take her, just to be on the safe side.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 13-Aug-08 18:39:02

thats what i was thinking but my mum and dad seem to think she is fine and dh seems more interested in his shopping recipet hmm

ill see how she is when she gets home in a few mins but will more than likely take her

misdee Wed 13-Aug-08 18:42:19

i would just keep an eye.

dd3 went to the hospital for a hole in her forehead when they glued it back together for me.

and when we thought she may have broken her nose.

but for general bumps/cuts to head no.

all hospital will do, if the cut doesnt need gluing or stitching, is observ her for hours, which you can do at home.

alardi Wed 13-Aug-08 18:45:08

I wouldn't go to hosptl. happens to one of dc at least once a day. Never been wrong so far.

denbury Wed 13-Aug-08 18:49:51

follow your instinks( i know thats not how you spell it!) go to hospital if it means you'll sleep tonight or phone nhs advice line ( they even have a web page, or phone your out of hours doctor. good luck

LIZS Wed 13-Aug-08 18:57:21

Unless the cut is open or won't stop bleeding I'd apply a cold pack and wait it out. If she shows signs of visual disturbance, sickness or drowsiness go to A and E

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 13-Aug-08 20:20:12

we have just got back from a and e. when she got back here the cut looked very open and was still weepy even though she had done it an hour before <my mum is not neglectfull she brought her home as soon as she knew but dd1 didnt tell her grin> they said the cut needed gluing and dd1 got a free teddy for being so brave. she says it was all worth it for the teddy hmm

nervousal Wed 13-Aug-08 20:22:32

glad to hear all is OK - but could start a big row re whether NHS should be used to fund teddys.....wink

desperatehousewifetoo Wed 13-Aug-08 22:32:29

I think the teddies are usually donated.

When my ds was in a and e with asthma attack, they said variety club or local lions had donated them. So no NHS funding involved.

Glad all is well seashells and she likes her teddy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now