Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

has anyone given two MMR doses within a few months?

(15 Posts)
cappy1 Wed 13-Aug-08 14:20:39

Hi mums

My GP surgery has asked all children to have a second MMR a month after they have had their first MMR. This is because of a reported outbreak in our area. Has anyone had expereince of this?

Roskva Thu 14-Aug-08 09:22:50

shock

Beeper Thu 14-Aug-08 19:52:08

Well if the vaccine is supposed to work why would you child not be coverd. No way in hell would I allow my child to recieve two doses.

Did you not read in the news the GPs are getting extra money for giving out extra doses.

My child GOT measles from the MMR.

Beeper Thu 14-Aug-08 19:53:44

I am so angry its a money making racket, most doctors who do the single route say at least 12 weeks between doses of the single vaccines. I am sorry but this could damage your child.

greenandpleasant Thu 14-Aug-08 19:54:37

I heard about this in another bit of London to where I live. Asked the nurse in my practice, she thought it might be because of people needing to catch up when they had failed ot have their babies vaccinated first time round. seems a really odd thing to do, why would you vaccinate and then have the booster a couple of months later?

I'm in Hackney where there has been a measles outbreak going on for months and they are not advocating two in two months here.

Twiglett Thu 14-Aug-08 19:55:52

god I wouldn't I just wouldn't

DD has had bad reactions both times with MMR .. at 18 months (yes I delayed it) and at 4 years

and I had to insist they didn't give 5in1 alongside the MMR at the 4 year one too .. she still had a bad reaction

crokky Thu 14-Aug-08 19:56:57

I really wouldn't do this.

Privately, you can get a blood test to see whether your child is immune to measles, ie whether your child's original vaccine worked.

aliasdictus Thu 14-Aug-08 23:41:12

NB This may be upsetting.

You should all understand what vaccination is, it puts a tiny amount of the disease into the body so that the immune system learns it and can then deal with it should it ever come across the real thing. That is why your child will 'react' to the vaccination, it is just the body responding to the first taste of the disease. If 5% of children are not vaccinated in an area then it makes the liklihood of the disease far more likely, that is why your practice are so concerned. If you think your childrens' responses to vaccination are unpleasant then just you wait until you nurse a child with the real thing. We are not just thinking about a mumps type illness or a bit under the weather for a few days. Measles is a horrible nasty disease that will have you worried sick for 2 or 3 weeks, not least because you will not know whether your child will become blind, deaf, damaged or even worse, Measles is deadly and none of you should ignore that fact. It is ridiculous to even think that your GPs are motivated by money for vaccination, they have probably seen what measles can do.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Thu 14-Aug-08 23:46:14

The only 'standard' reason for doing this is if the original vaccination has been given before 12 months (in which case its counted as unlikely to have worked). Now they often give MMR at 13 months it is slightly less reliable than when it is given at 15 months plus. They may feel that therefore a booster is needed (wild guess at logic).

I had measles as a child and my mother did not worry herself sick - despite being deaf in one ear herself from measles. I now she didn't worry herself that much as she is quite happy with ds2 and ds3 not having had MMR and being at risk from measles. Once I'd got over the nasty few days (I do remember retching and feeling pretty grotty) I was sent to play with my friend who was also in quarantine - in her case because of whooping cough.

Not to say that measles can't be nasty, but no need to overstate it.

pagwatch Fri 15-Aug-08 11:15:09

And the suggestion that a childs reaction to the vaccination is always minor is nonsense. My families reactions have included massive seizures and lifelong learning difficulties.

( I was one of eight and we all had measles with only minor inconvenience. Gps think my DD may have had it earlier in the year but so mild they could not confirm)

PortAndLemon Fri 15-Aug-08 11:18:34

Our area is suggesting booster 4-6 months after the first dose at the moment.

cappy1 Fri 15-Aug-08 13:19:38

Gosh now don't know what to do!

My concern is that the large scale study that relieved our fears about the link between MMR and autism - I presume was based on having the triple vaccine at 12-18 months then at 3 years old. How can the recommendations to give a booster so close to the original vaccine be evidence based if the studies have not done this?

pagwatch Fri 15-Aug-08 14:52:19

cappy
Good grief
This is a ridiculous suggestion from your surgery.

Are you seriously considering having the same triple vaccine twice in a month?
I have to confess I am shock

Beeper Fri 15-Aug-08 17:24:31

hmm

some of use here have spent years reading about vaccines. I myself do at least a hour a day.

Beeper Fri 15-Aug-08 17:25:44

Yes and GPs see what measles can do, especially the measles my son caught from the vaccine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now