Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bad news from my mums CT scan

(9 Posts)
tots2ten Tue 12-Aug-08 11:57:54

They have found a growth on her left lung. She is going into hospital for half the day tomorrow to have a biopsy (sp) done. We were told we may have the results from that tomorrow evening.

Her hospital consultant who first ordered the tests have now transferred her to another colleague as he is unable to continue with this case (but wishes to be kept informed)

Mum also has to have a full body scan as at the moment the growth is only in her lungs. he was talking as if it is cancer, but never actually said the word, iyswim. he also said that he needs to know what type it is as certain treatments only work for some and not others, radiotherapy and chemotherapy were mentioned along with surgery.

I feel as though i have just been run over by a bus, none of us were expecting this, we still are no closer to knowing what it is thats wrong with her. Both me and my sister are assuming that it is cancer as this is the way her doctor seemed to be talking. but wont know properly until we have the results of the biopsy.

I havent been able to stop crying for the last hour. i really need to talk to someone but cant face talking sad

BeHereNow Tue 12-Aug-08 12:06:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bluebelldancer Tue 12-Aug-08 12:12:12

Sorry to hear this sad

aleene Tue 12-Aug-08 12:30:27

Sorry to hear this. My dad had cancer diagnosed 3 weeks ago so I know what you are going through. I think you are probably right to think it is cancer, you need to be prepared for that. Hopefully they will be able to start treatments and they can do a lot these days so don't panic and think the worst case scenario. Try to be positive and you and your sister try to support each other and of course your mum. X

tots2ten Tue 12-Aug-08 13:00:41

thanks aleene, I am sorry to hear about your dad. i think it has hit my brother worse than me and my sister. he wouldn't (or didnt want to)listen last week when mum went for her ct scan. i spoke to him and i phoned my dad in work. i didnt want him to be the only person that didnt know, (not sure if this was right or wrong) but didnt like the fact that he wouldnt find out the results until he finished work at 3, by then we would all of known for at least 4 hours. at least know he has some time to think without having to talk (if that makes any sense). i have also told my mothers side of the family, and asked that just for today they dont phone her, (her brother was in tears,) and my mum doesnt need them crying, we need them strong for when/if the going gets tough.

I now feel very strangly calm, my sister cant stop crying, my brother has gone into shut off mode.

lilyloo Tue 12-Aug-08 13:08:13

So sorry tots the doc did this with my mum when she had cancer. He talked about it as if it was before she had biopsy too.
You do need to prepare yourself and all of you will handle this very differently.

aleene Thu 14-Aug-08 22:26:20

Tots, how are you doing today? How are all your family?

ChirpyGirl Thu 14-Aug-08 22:52:53

t2t, are you ok? thinking of you, xx

tots2ten Fri 15-Aug-08 22:39:48

hi, well my mum had her biopsy (sp) done wednesday, and we were told that we would have the results within a few hours. but they have now decided to wait for the bone scan (which is on monday) and the mri to be done so that they can give all the results in one go, they have given her the 4th september as the date to go back to see the consultant, by then she will have had all the other tests done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now