Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post gall bladder removal problems

(15 Posts)
lisad123 Mon 11-Aug-08 23:59:10

I have my gall bladder removed when DD1 was 6 weeks, so 8 months ago. Since then I keep getting bad tummy pains, diahorra or constapation (and i cant spell). The pain is horrible and i have had to spend more time back in hospital due to inflamed stomach lining.
Im really fed up and just want my body back, im only 26!!

My GP said i could go back to eating normally but do find if i eat badly i really pay a day or two later.
help, anyone been here, or any suggestions??

TheMadHouse Tue 12-Aug-08 00:30:49

OK - I have had bowel issues since I was pregnant with DS1 and have had a colonoscopy to see if they could identify the issue.

They think that it is due to my gall blander removal (I was 20 weeks pregnant with DS at the time)

I am waiting for a presecription for cholestramine (Questran) to take which should improve things. I am going to try this for three months before I have further tests.

chopchopbusybusy Tue 12-Aug-08 00:32:59

Have you had a blood test for Coeliac disease?

chopchopbusybusy Tue 12-Aug-08 01:06:44

Sorry, just realised that was maybe a bit blunt if you are worried. Gall bladder problems are a common side effect of Coeliac Disease, which is an intolerance of gluten, found in wheat, barley, rye and oats. The effects of it include constipation, diahorrea, tummy upsets/pains etc. Many people who have it are initially diagnosed with IBS. A straightforward blood test can help with diagnosis and with the symptoms you have described it's probably worth having done.

lisad123 Tue 12-Aug-08 09:31:25

thanks, will take my self off to doctors, but will have to drag kiddies along too

Flier Tue 12-Aug-08 11:05:11

I had mine out nearly 2y ago now, when dd was 3months. I still find that if I eat fatty foods I feel really ill and am constipated and have a really sore stomach, really nauseous. I take Immodium plus if I eat something fatty and then don't suffer.

misi Tue 12-Aug-08 13:29:30

every client that comes to me with stomach probs after gall bladder removal get the same answer, get yourself some lecithin, take it for a month then come back!!

the gall bladder is responsible for producing bile and other enzymes. when removed, your liver can take up some of the slack, but what the body needs is the lecithin that the gallbladder no longer produces. lecithin is a fat emulsifier and helps to break down the fat in your diet, without it more fat stays undigested in your intestines causing either constipation of diarheoa and can cause pains through impaction of the gut wall.

try lecithin for a month and see unless of course you think there is a complication form the surgery. if the doc says it is just your diet, get the lecithin down you. it comes as pills or granules. the granules are good as you can spread it on cold food with no taste or some poeple say it has a slight nutty taste, you can get pills, most are a bit like torpedoes!! but optima do a concentrated type in small capsules.

my mum took 2000mg per meal for 2 weeks then 1000mg per meal after that, she now has 1000mg after her main meal only unless it is a particularly fatty food she is having, she had her gall bladder removed last year and is in her sixties and everything is now working well!!

Flier Tue 12-Aug-08 19:14:34

misi, I have never heard of that before! Will definately give that a try myself.

LittleBella Tue 12-Aug-08 19:19:50

Blimey misi why aren't we all told this?

I'm off to try some.

lisad123 Tue 12-Aug-08 20:12:40

will try and get to see my GP tomorrow, had another bad day today

misi Tue 12-Aug-08 21:28:59

http://www.mcvitamins.com/gallbladder-removed.htm

have a read but ignore the bile salts bit at the end, too dodgy for my liking and needs lots of care and watching. lecithin is easy to take and needs little looking at if you see what I mean?

Babyramone Wed 13-Aug-08 06:46:13

Hi
I have just got up after suffering pain very similar to gall stones. Like you had my gall baldder out last year (august infact)but ahve had regular problems.
What I've noticed is the pain often occurs around the time of my period though not always.
I get that horrible sicky colicy pain right under ribs, sort of where our bra strap goes.
Before finding this thread was searching old gall stone threads and someone mentioned Sphincter of Oddi. Check it out is interesting.
I've got GP on thursday (though I'am going to try for appt today)so will let you know how I get on.

It's a nightmare isn't it. I'm so fed up with it.

meggiesmummie Wed 13-Aug-08 22:40:34

Really interested in this thread, particularly comments re lecithin. Had my gall bladder removed in 2001 (pre children)and haven't really had major problems since except that about once a month I will eat something (often something like goats cheese but not always) and within 1/2 hr have awful lower stomach pain, have to rush to toilet. It normally takes about 20 mins to recover but those 20 mins can leave me on the bathroom floor in pain, baking hot and sweating. Can be a bit of a nightmare if out becuase it is so unpredictable. I know I should have seen GP but I guess because it is fairly irregular I have never got round to it. Anyway now pregnant with DC2 and last couple of weeks have had more persistant diarrohea after meals. Have seen GP who said it is probably some kind of irritable bowel brought on by pregancy and have now managed to ease it a bit by cutting out citrus juice but I wonder whether the whole thing is related to my lack of gall bladder and maybe lecithin would help? Any thoughts?

misi Thu 14-Aug-08 17:03:07

lecithin certainly won't harm but would need to be certain as you are pregnant. saying that though, just quickly found this site with this info in it;

Lecithin and Pregnancy

Recent research shows that lecithin and its primary component - choline - are involved in maintaining a healthy pregnancy and in infant development.

Additionally, choline is important in some functions of folic acid, a vitamin that scientists and government authorities now urge women to take to help prevent certain birth defects. Lecithin and choline play many roles in reproduction and development. Because choline is especially important to the growing brain and nervous system of infants, the Infants Formula Act and the American Academy of Pediatrics require that infant formulas provide choline.

the whole link is;
http://www.envirobee.com/lecithin.htm

google lecithin and pregnancy, lots of sites came up!

meggiesmummie Thu 14-Aug-08 21:35:39

Thanks misi will go and have a look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now