Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Shadows on Lungs - What Does it Mean??

(6 Posts)
Lupins71 Mon 11-Aug-08 12:21:42

I have just found out from my mum that my dad has shadows on his lungs, Is it likely to be cancer? He does smoke 40 a day and always has, Is there anything else that causes this? He has just got back in touch with me after not speaking for 8 yrs and I am wondering if this is the reason why.

sarah293 Mon 11-Aug-08 12:24:51

Message withdrawn

olympicsnotfederer Mon 11-Aug-08 12:25:09

Not necessarily cancer but impossible to say without knowing the rest of his medical history.

He could have chronic lung disease due to his smoking. The shadows could be an active or old chest infection that causes permanent lung damage (bronchiectasis).

He could have a viral or fungal lung infection. Don't jump to conclusions just yet.

Lupins71 Mon 11-Aug-08 12:28:22

Thanks I think he gets the results in a few days but was going to call him and wanted to be armed with some positive info as he is pretty down

TheMadHouse Mon 11-Aug-08 12:33:47

Just wanted add not necessarily cancer. DS2 had really bad shadows and it was a really bad infection that had turned to pneunmonia.

I will keep my fingures crossed.

Also I have a bi-lateral hernia and that creates a shadow on my lungs, which has caused a few sleepless nights before we knew what it was

Lupins71 Mon 11-Aug-08 15:54:21

Thankyou, hopefully its just an infection

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now