Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diaphragms - pros and cons

(12 Posts)
Isabellasmam Mon 11-Aug-08 10:08:53

Hi, I find that the pill or other hormonal contraceptives aren't suitable for me and condoms are expensive. Can anyone tell me their views and the advantages and disadvantages of diaphragms.

grin

Isabellasmam Mon 11-Aug-08 10:24:47

bumping as finding lots of conflicting advice on the internet. grin

emma1977 Mon 11-Aug-08 11:06:51

Advantages:
-Hormone and drug free
-The woman is in charge of own fertility
-It can be inserted prior to sex so not 'interfering' with the act itself
-It is reasonably effective as contraception providing it is used properly and in conjunction with spermicide

Disadvantages:
-Can be difficult to find somewhere with the expertise to fit one. Most GPs can't. You will need to go to FPC
-Takes a bit of practice to get used to fitting it and removing it, and the spermicide can be messy
-Contains latex, therefore not suitable if allergic
-Is user-dependent. Therefore, if you get pissed and forget to use it or don't leave it in long enough or is put in incorrectly, you could get pregnant
-Reasonably high failure rate compared to hormonal contraception. Therefore, it is often recommended for use in conjunction with another method (e.g. fertility awareness, condoms) or when the woman's fertility is reduced (aged 35+)
-You will need to attend for checks to make sure it fits OK and be aware that if you gain or lose any weight, it can affect the fit

Hope this helps.

DaisyBuchanon Mon 11-Aug-08 11:21:06

I used one for several years and quite quickly became very skilful at the insertion stuff - was never really an issue.

The only downside I can think of is that it makes sex all a bit premeditated, IYSWIM. There's no scope for anything spontaneous - or at least, if there is, the mood is sullied by having to go into the bathroom and fiddle about with tubes of spermicide just as you're getting going .

Isabellasmam Mon 11-Aug-08 11:32:31

daisy - i find the same problems with condoms, plus they're expensive.

looking at some old threads it seems that they are being fased out. does anyone else have difficulties getting one fitted or getting spermicide.

emma - thanks for info.

Aimsmum Mon 11-Aug-08 11:37:34

Message withdrawn

Isabellasmam Mon 11-Aug-08 11:43:29

Aimsmum - did you find it difficult to get the fpc to give you one, i.e. did they try and push hormone contraceptives first.

emma1977 Mon 11-Aug-08 18:51:18

FPC can provide you with free condoms too.

They have no agenda to push hormonal contraception on you, other than that is what the majority of women use and demand. I can't remeber the last time I had someone request a diaphragm, but it can be done fairly easily (although sometimes they need ordering in).

There's always a copper coil if you want something non-hormonal and a bit more reliable and forgettable.

Blandmum Mon 11-Aug-08 18:57:28

Re the premeditated thing. You can wang it in every night. Mind you if you do this regularly and don't have nooky every night you feel a little like the woman who took her harp to the party and no-one asked her to play!

Not ideal of getting PG wouuld be a disater so a good method of family spacing rather than baby avoidance

I used one and loved it, but I can see that it wouldn't be everyones thing

norkmaiden Mon 11-Aug-08 18:58:22

<unhelpful alert>

You get pg using one grin

(might just be me, but fwiw I'd not give mine a second chance...)

Aimsmum Mon 11-Aug-08 19:27:01

Message withdrawn

girlnextdoor Mon 11-Aug-08 21:10:07

I had 1 for a few years- agree with the lack of spontaneity. Downsides- once I thought it had got stuck- suction effect- and took a lot of fiddling to retrieve.

Also found it pressed on bladder slightly and made me more liable to get sore bladder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now