Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump in armpit - wait and see or GP this afternoon?

(19 Posts)
Grublin Mon 11-Aug-08 09:46:07

I discovered a lump in my left armpit yesterday.
I can see it when I lift my arm up in profile and from looking in the mirror iyswim.
DH can feel something too.
It feels hard and is also tender to touch (or I may be feeling it too much!).

Tender to touch is a good sign I think. Not sure about GP, think I would go if I was you, mainly just to stop myself worrying.

allgoingtohellinabucket Mon 11-Aug-08 09:47:35

it's probably an inflamed lymph gland due to an infection or virus

but you should get it checked today to be on the safe side

MrsBates Mon 11-Aug-08 09:48:08

Go to your GP just to check. Not point worrying about nothing so go and have a chat. Hope all is fine - sure it will be.

Crocky Mon 11-Aug-08 09:49:49

Agree, see your GP today but don't panic. Mine was an inflamed lymph.

Grublin Mon 11-Aug-08 09:49:54

See, if it is just an inflamed gland, then I don't want to waste the Drs time.
But don't want to be all dramatic about it maybe being cancer.

Crocky Mon 11-Aug-08 09:50:45

You will not be wasting the docs time.

Not wasting time. GP is there for minor ailments so they won't think you are wasting their time. If you went rushing into A & E shrieking 'I need to be seen NOW' that would be a different matter.
I wonder why we are all (me included) so scared about 'wasting' our doctor's time?!

CuckooClockWorkOrange Mon 11-Aug-08 09:52:38

Go immediately. But I agree, it's a good sign that it's tender.

The doctor will NOT feel you are wasting his time. BOTH my grandmas died because they didn't want to waste the doctors time. More likely the doctor would think you were silly for not taking HALF an hour out of your schedule to put your mind at rest.

hippipotami Mon 11-Aug-08 09:55:29

I get these a lot. The first few times I ran to the GP in a panic. Every time he told me the same thing:

It is an inflamed / blocked lymph gland. Usually caused by sweating and / or shaving with a razorblade which had a speck of dirt on it.

These lumps are exactly as you describe.
The GP may prescribe AB's, but tbh I was told by a nurse at a well woman / breast clinic (when I was there for a breast lump and mentioned my armpit issue with her) that these armpit lumps go by themselves with or without AB's.

Mine always disappear within 5 days, and if you feel them regularly (like I do blush) you can actually feel them getting smaller each day.

My GP also told me it is very unlikely to be a cancerous lump unless you have a breast lump too.
By that I mean they don't see these breast lumps as potentially cancerous unless you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Of course you will worry. But honestly, the fact that it is slightly tender to touch means it is a blocked / inflamed lymph node and it will go by itself within a week.

Grublin Mon 11-Aug-08 09:55:34

Sorry to hear about your Grandmas Cuckoo.

I can't phone for an appt now till after 1.30 when they will start taking afternoon appts. If I'm lucky enough to get through to them in the first 5 minutes that they open then I maybe in with a chance of getting seen.

ummadam Mon 11-Aug-08 09:59:47

I'm a doctor. Doesn't sound worrying, likely an inflammed lymph node or a minor infection from shaving. But without having you standing infront of me they are guesses I'm afraid. Make an appointment - doesn't have to be today but this week or you will worry too much. You wouldn't be wasting my time

Grublin Mon 11-Aug-08 10:03:36

I have this afternoon or tomorrow to go to the Drs.
I work Wed-Fri and work look at me very hmm if I need to take time off on those days for something that can be done earlier in the week. Grrrr!

Romy7 Mon 11-Aug-08 10:09:44

I had this on my honeymoon. It was way too difficult to work out how i'd find a doc on hol that i left it and hotfooted it to the gp when i got back. i spent the whole time panicing like crazy, was stressed out and completely unable to contemplate relaxing and having a good time. Flipping lymph glands - try not to worry, but get it checked to put your mind at rest x

JRocks Mon 11-Aug-08 10:14:24

Please do go to the GP. It's never a waste of time.

janinlondon Mon 11-Aug-08 10:15:10

Also voting for lymph gland inflammation. I had this. On reflection it was probably a result of an ant bite on my hip a few days prior, but go to GP to be sure. I had the lump taken out and it was confirmed as a blocked lymph gland.

melrose Mon 11-Aug-08 10:38:07

DEf go to GP, I ahd the same thing anbd it was an infected hair follicle but def worth checking to rule out anything else

Grublin Mon 11-Aug-08 14:00:27

The Dr's are 'all fully booked' today angry been trying constantly since half one to get through to them, only to hear the engaged tone until just now

CuckooClockWorkOrange Mon 11-Aug-08 14:36:29

Grublin, tell them "that's OK, I'll take one of your emergency appointments then".

My Gs both died a long long time ago, I just would really like to think that we women have changed!

We DESERVE regular health checks and reassurance and so on. Sorrry if I came across very blunt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now