Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anti-biotics make you feel like this?

(5 Posts)
Boco Sun 10-Aug-08 20:33:36

I have a mild UTI that's been niggling for a few days so was prescribed an antibiotic - not had it before, trimethop something. Today is teh second day of taking it and I have the worst migraine type headache, stiff neck and eyes hurt - spent all afternoon in bed as any movement hurts.

I had a migraine a few weeks ago, the first I've had so could be that. But not sure if i should carry on taking the abs - could it be that?

twoboots Sun 10-Aug-08 20:42:31

I HATE TO WORRY YOU but: especially if you have a fever you may have meningitis, get a doctor to reassess you tonight.

Boco Sun 10-Aug-08 21:06:01

I just read that too - and that's what i'd been worrying about this afternoon as have some of the symptoms - but then I can use the computer this evening and I don't have a fever so am thinking it can't be that bad.

Not sure whether to take the next dose or not - I always get kidney infections from UTIs so don't want to leave it - but if its this causing the headache if i take anymore my head might explode.

watershed Sun 10-Aug-08 21:39:27

Hi Boco, what does the leaflet say on side effects? I took klaracid and it made me feel dreadful - had to stop taking it - heart palpitations and headache... but if in doubt phone doctor..I did and he told me to stop. I was scared because I was worried about stopping in the middle of the course.

Boco Sun 10-Aug-08 22:21:26

Well the leaflet says side effects include a form of meningitis - headache, stiff neck, tirednness, feeling ill, sensitivity to light.

Which made me panic.

But then I don't have a fever and I'm well enough to be typing and reading so surely if it was that I'd be much worse?

Just unsure about taking another one or not, could be just a migraine.

I guess I'll see dr tomorrow if it's no better. Thanks. Sorry, incapable of rationally working it out for myself then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now