Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

period late - could it be stopping breastfeeding??

(5 Posts)
meysey Sun 13-Feb-05 20:44:42

Hi

My period is over a week late and a pregnancy test is negative. My periods came back a few months ago although I was still breastfeeding a bit, and were as regular as clockwork (they usually are). I have just stopped breastfeeding completely (DS2 is 12 months). Could it be my hormones are all over the place as a result?

The GP says not to worry, but to do pregnancy test every two weeks just in case (have to say it would be very unlikely!).

But of course I do worry! Has anyone els ehad this?

HelloMama Sun 13-Feb-05 20:48:25

Have you had any unprotected sex in the last cycle? What are using for contraception? Of course the breast feeding could affect things, but if they have been very regular recently I would want to rule out other things (ie pregnancy) as well. Chances are everything will be ok!

HappyMumof2 Sun 13-Feb-05 20:59:57

Message withdrawn

meysey Sun 13-Feb-05 21:40:51

happymumof2 that is reassuring, sounds like what might be happening to me

hellomama, the answer is no and condoms, but my first one was virtually an immaculate conception so you never know.. also would hate to mess anything up so now feel I should be in full non-drinking and folic acid mode just in case!

HelloMama Mon 14-Feb-05 11:27:00

Then I would say that it is just the breast feeding that has put your cycle out a bit. I would do another test a week after the last one and if that too is negative, then stop worrying and carry on as normal! As soon as you start worrying about these things, then that usually delays the period by a few days as well - just to stress you out that bit more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now