Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really sore mouth!

(9 Posts)
charlotte121 Sun 10-Aug-08 15:54:10

For the past few days my mouth has been really sore. Its the roof of my mouth thats affected and seems to be only the bits of gums behind my teeth running all the way round my mouth. They feel blistery and when I eat it hurts especially when I have something with vinagar in.

Any ideas what it could be?

belgo Sun 10-Aug-08 16:03:27

Have you changed toothpastes recently? Or eaten something unusual that could cause an allergic reaction? Another possibility is a thrush infection in your mouth - you can get this if you are run down or have been taken partcular medicines.

Can you see any red/white areas in your mouth?

Or some sort of gum infection. You should see your doctor or dentist.

charlotte121 Sun 10-Aug-08 16:20:52

Toothpaste is the same as usual... cant think that i have eaten anything out of the ordinairy... have been on a whole cocktail of anti-biotics for the past few weeks tho as i got an infection from having dd. Cant really see anything in my mouth because of the postition of the blisters. I do have a doctors appointment for tuesday so will wait untill then. Hopefully they will have gone as theyre really painful.

CuckooClockWorkOrange Sun 10-Aug-08 16:32:40

Sounds like mouth thrush, you have been on anti biotics.
cut out wine and sugar........?

charlotte121 Sun 10-Aug-08 16:41:06

Noooooooooooooooooooo not my precious wine!!! How will i live without it lol! Was just chatting to my older sis and her dd has thrush in her mouth atm too so perhaps she gave it to me.... can u catch it??? errgghh I feel wrank now!!! I thought you got it in your fanjo and that was it!

CuckooClockWorkOrange Sun 10-Aug-08 16:43:39

any moist warm environment!!!

The doc will probably prescribe a mouthwash for you which will get rid in a couple of HOURS. In fact, if you can march in to the chemist and say, "my name is charlotte and I have mouth thrush" they might have an OTC mouthwash.

MatNanPlus Sun 10-Aug-08 16:46:28

Oraldene is good

belgo Sun 10-Aug-08 16:48:32

Yes antibiotics can certainly cause oral thrush. The doctor can prescribe you effective treatment.

You can't really 'catch' it - you will have developed it as a result of the antibiotics.

charlotte121 Sun 10-Aug-08 16:50:37

Oh thats ok... I was worried incase I hadnt been washing my hand propperly or something. Im quite relieved. Will wait untill I see the doc on tuesday and I can get it for free then rather than having to pay for it. Had a rather expensive night out last night so am not skint!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now