Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know? Can you have a cervical smear test when you are pregnant?

(16 Posts)
EachPeachPearMum Sat 09-Aug-08 22:50:57

Thats it really- is it safe/possible?
TIA

Lubyloo Sat 09-Aug-08 22:55:15

I think that in the States it is often does as routine in the first antenatal appt. My friend found out she was pregnant a week before her smear and they told her it was fine for them to do it.

rosealbie Sat 09-Aug-08 22:55:25

I didn't think it was posible but may be wrong. I did have to wait for 6 months after the birth of my dc's to have one though.

babblington Sat 09-Aug-08 22:55:57

think it's very hard to get an accurate result - they made me wait until 9 months after I gave birth, but that was for a colposcopy.

Kif Sat 09-Aug-08 22:56:14

I asked this once.

I was told it is possible and safe. However, it is not recommended. Apparently if you find abnormal cells, treating them would be very bad for baby. Since cervical cancer is very slow growing, the nurse said it was better t get tested 6 weeks posr-natal - to save yourself possible worry and heartache

EachPeachPearMum Sat 09-Aug-08 22:58:33

So WHY did my GP send me a letter for a smear today... when I have seen him twice this week in person for pg related problems (am 17 weeks)!!!

Or is that a whole different thread? wink

cthea Sat 09-Aug-08 22:58:40

"cervical smears are not routinely taken in pregnancy because of difficulty in their interpretation - this is because of pregnancy-related inflammatory or reactive changes which may be revealed on cytology of a cervical smear undertaken in pregnancy or during the postpartum" from here

curlywurlycremeegg Sat 09-Aug-08 22:59:08

The smear it's self isn't a problem, however there are changes in the squamous cervical cells in pregnancy that can cause false positive (that is an abnormal reading that isn't really abnormal) results.

Kif Sat 09-Aug-08 23:00:05

oh, the letters are computer generated

curlywurlycremeegg Sat 09-Aug-08 23:00:29

sometimes the letters are just computer generated, a bit like the childhood vaccine ones, they just get printed out and sent of when the correct time comes IYSWIM

EachPeachPearMum Sat 09-Aug-08 23:03:17

It may have been automatically generated... but he has signed it by hand, and we are the only family in the practice with our surname.

I have been putting it off, simply because I have been ttc previously and I always bleed after a smear, but didn't want to jeopardise conception (they always have to be done around ovulation time).

Thanks for the speedy answers!

pinkbubble Sat 09-Aug-08 23:03:18

I am sure I had one done when I was pregnant with my first. Was rather taken aback as I like to be prepared for these things! Mind you this was 15 yrs ago, so possibly things have now changed!

mears Sat 09-Aug-08 23:09:44

Most likely you have been sent a computer generated letter for your smear.

Best not to have a smear as they are not accurate really in pregnancy and immediately post natal as there are natural cell changes.

mears Sat 09-Aug-08 23:10:56

I don't think GPs read what they sign BTW smile

When I first trained as a midwife 25 years ago smears were taken at booking visit. It was found later to be a waste of time.

emma1977 Sun 10-Aug-08 11:41:24

Over here smears tend not to be done during pregnancy, as it is difficult to get an accurate sample.

The letters are generated by the PCT not your doctor's surgery. Just ring them and explain you are pregnant and wish to defer it until after the birth.

MKG Sun 10-Aug-08 12:28:08

Here in the States they do one at your first pre-natal visit Between 8-10 weeks and then 6 months post-partum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now