Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there a swollen neck glandy sort of virus going around??

(34 Posts)
CountessDracula Sat 09-Aug-08 17:09:04

I have had for about 3 days
Not really a sore throat, don't feel ill as such just a bit crap but my glands are massive

Am hopeful that it is not some recurrence of Glandular Fever (I had 4 or 5 years ago) but when I had that I don't remember my glands being up so unlikely.

FluffyMummy123 Sat 09-Aug-08 17:09:24

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Sat 09-Aug-08 17:11:54

what??

CountessDracula Sat 09-Aug-08 17:12:15

also don't feel tired

FluffyMummy123 Sat 09-Aug-08 17:12:16

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Sat 09-Aug-08 17:12:32

nope

CountessDracula Sat 09-Aug-08 18:28:01

oh bum is it just me then?

pooka Sat 09-Aug-08 18:32:54

Well nearly 2 weeks ago I was prescribed antibiotics for tonsillitis. Took for 10 days (so up until Weds). And now today I have swollen neck (other side this time). Glands are well up. Have headache and swallowing uncomfortable but not excruciating.

Is bloody saturday.

DH driving to cornwall at 5am.

Me driving on my own on MOnday to cornwall.

If go to emdoc, will have to take children. Not ideal. PLus may be viral and not bacterial (though bloody hell what is wrong with me these days. Ill all the bloody time).

If wait til monday, what if I AM worse then, and then have to do 6 hour drive.

Shit.

Think I might have tonsillitis again. But on right side rather than left this time.

Grr.

Upshot is, would rather like someone to say is viral, gets better quickly. Don't go to emdoc. Drive will be fine.

CountessDracula Sat 09-Aug-08 18:37:03

hmm
i would go tbh

I don't think I have any tonsils though I vaguely remember someone saying they had grown back once

umberella Sat 09-Aug-08 19:07:16

YES

I've got muckle glands (the ones on my neck..)

DD has it too. We've had a sore throat and now we've got a cough. I also have a gunky eye infection, oooar.

CountessDracula Sat 09-Aug-08 19:14:19

ahh good
I mean poor you
where are you?

pooka Sat 09-Aug-08 19:29:16

PMSL at "ah good"

Tonsils can grow back! shock

My glands are at teh front. Making me look a bit like I have no neck. Or have been weightlifting.

Think will see how am in morning and mabe go with the children. THat'll be fun hmm

Though have done internet search and found docs in cornwall just in case.

Poor you umberella.

Is shitty being ill in summer. Not right at all.

me23 Sat 09-Aug-08 19:32:25

dd had infected tonsils, sore throat temperature, has been given antibiotics. me and dp have sore throats and feeling a bit crap! it seems to be lasting a while just want it to go.

Heated Sat 09-Aug-08 19:44:38

My whole dept had something very similar sounding at the end of July - swollen glands/sore throat and achy arm pits/breasts which lasted about a week, with extreme tiredness.

With gf you get appallingly bad breath.

FeelingLucky Sat 09-Aug-08 20:24:52

Me and Dh were just complaining about this. swollen glands, sore throat and feel a bit crap but not really ill.
Dh thinks it might be a recurrence of his gf which stays with you for life, but no idea what mine might be. Just hope it all disappears before we go away for our hols.

aliasdictus Sat 09-Aug-08 22:06:38

There are very many impalpable lymph glands under the jaw and all over the neck. However they can enlarge in response to a sore throat, bad tooth, a cut, etc etc. Thay are often accompanied by showers of germs whizzing round the blood stream which is why you feel 'out of sorts' for a while. Things will generally improve on their own although sometimes the glands will take a while to subside. If it is getting worse then see your GP as it probably is bacterial, needing antibiotics, rather than viral. Incidentally, this is for you as an adult. The younger you are the shorter the time frame for treating it, so if it is an infant don't delay. Hope this helps.

CountessDracula Sat 09-Aug-08 23:13:22

thanks
I will go to Doc if not better soon
I have added complications of being on immunosupressants and prophelatic antibiotics (cephalexin) so would prob be wise if it doesn't get better in the next 48h

NorthernLurker Sat 09-Aug-08 23:19:06

dd1 has just had a foul bout of tonsillitis following on from a fever/sore throat just before school broke up and dh had to have two lots of antibiotics to get shot of a foul throat thing he had in June so yes I think there is something going ruound

CountessDracula Thu 14-Aug-08 17:24:03

I still blardy have this

I am feeling rather knackered and grotty with it now

argh

Cammelia Thu 14-Aug-08 17:34:11

I had it a couple of weeks ago and then seemed to get over it now I have it back again. Seems to work its way around the body and kills the appetite.

CountessDracula Thu 14-Aug-08 17:35:27

oh right, yes I have not been v hungry i must say

So did you have the same thing? V swollen and painful glands, head/neck ache etc. No other coldy type symptoms? Mine seems to come and go a bit

AtheneNoctua Thu 14-Aug-08 17:43:52

Sorry you are unwell, Drac. sad

We have the house of puke goning on now. Am thinking of not going home after work (just kidding).

Cammelia Thu 14-Aug-08 17:58:48

Yes, excatly those symptoms cd

psychomum5 Thu 14-Aug-08 17:59:49

I have been like this all week.......got antibiotics for tonsilitis, and my tonsils are all yack and white-spotty, but my head feels as tho it has been slammed with a frying pan (well, not as bad now......tried hard all day to drink enough as wondered if it is dehydration related), but my ribs are in agony. and I also feel ads tho I have golf-balls in my throat and my jaw in a vice.

and feeling wibbly all the time too.....plus lost half a stone since saturday which I can ill afford, so hoping desperately to feel better soon.

CD, you have my sympathies........tis hell feeling like this in the summer hols!

blackcoffeenosugar Thu 14-Aug-08 18:02:22

here too.. put it down to a flu thing until my eye lids swelled up this morning.. it's a viral yuk thing.. and I am now on ABs... horse tablets I tell you!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now