Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

chicken pox

(5 Posts)
myspace1 Sat 09-Aug-08 11:58:42

My neighbour`s DH got chicken pox,my kids played with her day before.Is ther any chance they wouldn`t get it.Oh,and i never had them?is it possible i am immune(been exposed to them lots of times).How dangerous is it for grownups(i am not pregnant)?

emma1977 Sat 09-Aug-08 12:10:56

Hang on, is it the neighbour or her husband who has CP? Which one did the children play with?

If you have had pregnancies, your immune status will have been checked. Most women are immune to CP.

If an adult catches CP, it can be really nasty and sometimes serious.

myspace1 Sat 09-Aug-08 16:10:18

sorry,i made a mistake,it was neighbours`s daughter!i dont think i have been checked,if they did check me, they didnt tell me.im just a bit worried about adult CP.if we all get ill,i havent got anyone to help with kids!

AnnasBananas Mon 11-Aug-08 13:24:08

Fairly likely the children will get it, I would say, as the day before the spots appear is the most contagious. We've just had four weeks with it, as dd1 got it first then passed it on to dd2 two weeks later.

It is possible you have had them and are now immume as you can get such a mild case of chiken pox you don't know you have it. Particularly if you know you have been exposed over the past and never caught it. Unless you were in close contact YOURSELF with the neighbours daughter you will probably not have been exposed that time but more likely to be exposed if/when your own children come down with it. Count two weeks from when they played together with the neighbour's daughter and put a cross on the calendar and keep an eye out for unwellness, grumpynness etc and then of course the spots. The incubation period can be as long as 28 days but normally 10-21 days the average is 16 days (according to my GP)

I was very worried I would get them too when the kids have had them just now as I had them at aged 15 but it was a very mild dose. I did feel very rough the day dd2 came down with it and had four spots appear the next day, then four more the following day but felt alright, didn't have to take to my bed or anything could still manage the kids, so who knows perhaps it was chicken pox but very mildly. If you are infected as an adult you can be quite ill and suffer complications.

Children have to get it at some stage in their life but it's likely you are already immune. Good luck and buy Piriton and Calamine lotion in advance so you're ready if it hits!! And good luck, dd1 was OK with it dd2 was mustard...

myspace1 Tue 12-Aug-08 19:36:24

Thank you very much,we`re still ok.my neighbours dd seems to be ok.the spots have all disapeard and the mum thinks it wasnt even chicken pox,but like you said,it might`ve been very mild.
keep you posted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now