Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mum is 47 had abnormal smear test results and has to go for a colposcopy

(6 Posts)
pippypoppypanda Sat 09-Aug-08 10:18:10

Is this something to worry about at her age? She is going through menopause at the minute could this cause abnormal smear? I'm trying not to worry as I have had many colposcopys myself, its difficult when its someone else in your family.......

whomovedmychocolate Sat 09-Aug-08 10:27:07

It's not unusual to get abnormal results - I think about 30% require further tests. So long as she's had regular smears even if it does show cancer, it's extremely treatable when caught sat an early stage.

AnnasBananas Mon 11-Aug-08 13:10:08

No, nothing to worry about. The colposcope allows a much better view of the cervix and often an abnormal smear is then discovered to be normal by colposcopy. The smear test is not very precise it's more a screening test whereas colposcopy is a diagnostic tool. I have had three abnormal smears already over 15 years and I'm only 35. One required laser treatment and the other two were found to be normal under colposcopy so I half expect an abnormal result now. A word to the wise, after having one abnormal smear test I would go for yearly smear tests though, not three-yearly, so there's time to treat any future abnormalities.

VictorianSqualor Mon 11-Aug-08 13:22:47

Make sure she is aware that she could have to have a LEEP, so best to be prepared.
I went for my colposcopy thinking it was just a smear, but they performed the LEEp there and then. (A heated wire hoop that cuts the cells off of your cervix, under local anaesthetic)

pippypoppypanda Wed 20-Aug-08 11:28:38

She had to have the leap as cell changes were severe. She has to wait 4 weeks for test results, what happens next???

expatinscotland Wed 20-Aug-08 11:31:54

i had a colpo and biopsy and then a LEEP after the results came back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now