Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Asthma - share the misery with me

(14 Posts)
Beccles Sun 13-Feb-05 09:44:02

Message withdrawn

Podmog Sun 13-Feb-05 10:05:25

Message withdrawn

joash Sun 13-Feb-05 10:10:45

How old is DD?
I ask because two of my children had very bad asthma when they were young. Apparently, if the start very young there is a good chance that they will grow out of it. It is said to go in 7 year cycles and funnily enough, both mine had it for 7 years before they got rid of it and they've both been free of any symptoms for years now.

Beccles Sun 13-Feb-05 10:12:35

Message withdrawn

Beccles Sun 13-Feb-05 10:14:46

Message withdrawn

coppertop Sun 13-Feb-05 10:25:08

Ds1 (4.5yrs) has asthma. We didn't get a diagnosis after the first attack just after his 3rd birthday. I have asthma myself so I'd been keeping an eye out for any symptoms but I still missed it. One minute he seemed fine. The next he was literally on his hands and knees making the most awful noises. He was sent to the hospital and after a couple of nebulisers he was fine.

The second attack was a bad one. He stayed on oxygen for the full 24hrs and I lost count of the number of nebulisers he was given. There were 14 by the time I stopped counting. This time we got a diagnosis but it was frightening.

The hospital's asthma clinic were really good at helping us to devise plans for when he next got a cold. When he gets the first sniffles we increase both of his inhalers. They advised us on the dosage to give and when to get him to the GP. After a year of no attacks we were signed off from the hospital clinic and now go to the one at our GP's surgery.

You may find it gets easier to control as they get older as they are then able to use a peak-flow meter. This was literally a life-saver with my own asthma. I seem to be following the same 7-year pattern that Joash mentioned. I was dx'ed with asthma at 18 and had attacks until about 25. I'm now 31 and (touchwood) have been clear for 6 years now.

joash Sun 13-Feb-05 10:27:16

DD2 started with asthma when she was about 18 months old. She was fine by about 8 years old. My DS was about 4 when he started and he was free of all symptoms at around 10/11. Before that he was on permenant steroids, nebulisers - the lot. I know that it doesn't help you much at the moment, but hopefully there's some light at the end of the tunnel.
Both were managed at a the local asthma clinic at our GP's. They were excellent and very supportive. DO you have this sort of care available?

joash Sun 13-Feb-05 10:29:15

Perhaps I should add that I started with asthma about 5/6 years ago, and I am noticing a drastic improvement lately - so although the cycle is supposed to be rarer in adults, I'm hoping to be heading for a reprieve.

suedonim Sun 13-Feb-05 17:37:59

My ds2 was like your little one, Beccles. After several admissions and a burst lung, we were given a nebuliser for home, which helped a bit. I'll admit, I got sick to death of people quoting the 7yr thing to me, as his 7th birthday pased, then his 14th etc. He improved a lot when he was about 17 or 18 and now just gets asthma if he has a bad cold. My other three children are also asthmatic, though none of them as bad as ds2, thank goodness.

tamum Sun 13-Feb-05 18:01:51

Snap, suedonim. Ds is 10 now and the asthma is still going strong

Beccles Mon 14-Feb-05 09:19:33

Message withdrawn

suedonim Mon 14-Feb-05 20:10:25

My boys have both had oral steroids. It's perfectly safe if taken for short courses ie a few days. But usually a dr would try a steroid inhaler before resorting to tablets. Has your asthma nurse actually spoken to your gp about it?

Ameriscot2005 Mon 14-Feb-05 20:21:03

I'm just back from hospital with DD3 and her asthma. We went in yesterday first thing and she was admitted straighaway. Nebs didn't do much, so she was moved into high dependency for IV ventolin, complete with cardiac monitor.

She improved gradually after that, and miracle-of-miracles, the doctor asked if we wanted to go home at the 6pm check tonight. Yeah!

Beccles Tue 15-Feb-05 21:38:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now