Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please help - urgent...Kidney infection???

(30 Posts)
bongobum Sat 12-Feb-05 22:22:18

Hi, because of my morbid fear of hospitals am struggling to pretend to DH that I am not so bad but I am in agony.

The whole of my lower back aches so much that I am struggling to walk, cannot bend over at all and can't pick up DS. It's a very sharp ache.
Have been peeing alot which doesn't hurt but my back aches when I do so.

Wondered if it might be some kind of water infection. Does this sound familiar to anyone.

Am Sh*t scared will have to go to hospital which is why I have not admitted to DH how bad it is...it feels like I am in constant labour...

Any ideas???

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 22:23:42

take some paracetamol, drink plenty of cleasr fluids and rest up till morning. then phone out of hours gp in the morning and try and get to walk in clinic. u could need anti biotics.

pixiefish Sat 12-Feb-05 22:24:42

Lemon Barley Water is emant to be good for kidney infection

triceratops Sat 12-Feb-05 22:24:43

If you catch it in time you wont have to go to hospital just take big antibiotics. If you leave it you could make yourself seriously ill. Go to your out of hours gp asap. I had this a couple of years ago and it was agony so lots of sympathy to you.

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 22:25:39

have u got any cranberry juice?

bongobum Sat 12-Feb-05 22:26:09

so does it sound like that could be it. Sorry to sound like such a sap but I am sitting here in tears at the thought of a hospital

bongobum Sat 12-Feb-05 22:26:40

Have taken paracetamol, drunk as much water as I can and DH has done all the baby's cares today

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 22:27:11

it could be. or it could be something else. go see gp in the morning.

bongobum Sat 12-Feb-05 22:28:21

is cranberry juice good then?

bongobum Sat 12-Feb-05 22:29:07

Triceratops.

What did your pain feel like?

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 22:29:24

yup. good for cystisus (sperlling) and UTI. your not on warfarin or long term aspirin tho are you?

sallystrawberry Sat 12-Feb-05 22:30:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

charleepeters Sat 12-Feb-05 22:30:49

cranberry juice works wonders did for me when had water works infection when preggers with ds but you will need anti biotics but you can get them in a wak in clinic or get out of hours doc to see you i will get worse if you leave it though. but for now plenty of rest and fluids preferably cranberry juice

bongobum Sat 12-Feb-05 22:31:02

no n0t taking anything like that

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 22:31:59

is there an out of hrs clinic u can go to tonight, if u can drive there? if you phone your gp's number it may give you an out of hours clinic number. and you could go there tonight and avoid the hospital.

bongobum Sat 12-Feb-05 22:32:10

might ask dh if he can go and get me some cranberry jnow - dont know how long i can put up with this...eeek

bongobum Sat 12-Feb-05 22:33:15

misdee nothing like that - my docs only give the NHS direct number and that's it. Don't think I've heard of a walk in clinic around my area but feeling slightly happier at the thought of it

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 22:33:16

only reason i asked about warfain/aspirin as cranberry juice can affect INR levels for people on warfarin/asppirin long term. dh has to limit himself on cranberry juice, he likes the cranberry and blackcurrent juice.

sansouci Sat 12-Feb-05 22:35:02

Sorry bongo but I think you're past the cranberry juice stage. I've had chronic kidney/urinary tract infections for years & am terrified of the pain. It's worse than childbirth, so truly I know how you feel. As soon as your back starts to hurt, it usually means your kidneys are infected. Get it treated by doctor NOW. sorry to be bossy but you don't want to muck about with your kidneys!

bongobum Sat 12-Feb-05 22:36:02

i have to go now - seriously can't sit here anymore, finding it hard to breathe now as the pain is so sharp.
Thank you so much for your posts though. going to see what i xcan do tonight i think

ta

sallystrawberry Sat 12-Feb-05 22:36:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bongobum Sat 12-Feb-05 22:36:26

thnaaks sansouci

triceratops Sat 12-Feb-05 22:36:57

It would be better to start antibiotics tonight than tomorrow. I had backache and fever and shooting pains. Antibiotics dealt with it along with some big painkillers. Lots of fluids and sympathy are in order. I'm afraid that if it is a kidney infection cranberry juice ain't going to touch it.

jangly Sat 12-Feb-05 22:37:53

When I had a kidney infection the doctor came out (weekend) and gave me antibiotics - workjed very quickly. No mention of hospital! It was like a hard knot pain digging in, in the side of my waist and up a bit if you see what I mean. Phone your surgery and speak to emergency doctor.

sansouci Sat 12-Feb-05 22:47:11

you're welcome, bongo. If your still around, sitting in a warm bath helps or having a hot water bottle between your legs. Drink lots & lots of water. Ask doc for strong painkiller to take now with the antibiots. Hugs to you & hope you are better in the morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now