Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How drowsy does Medised make your toddler?

(16 Posts)
mummylonglegs Sat 12-Feb-05 21:37:35

Sorry if I'm sounding neurotic here. I've been posting about dd's seemingly endless night time coughing and someone recommended Medised which I've never used before. Tonight I gave her 10ml (she's 2.4 and it said 5-10ml 3-4 times a day) before bed (haven't given her any during the day) and when I was settling her down her eyes were rolling in her sockets in a way I haven't seen since she was an exhausted newborn. Would that be the effects of the Medised? Or is it a sign that she's iller than I'm realising? She'd got no fever and is grumpy but generally ok in the day apart from this damned cough of hers.

HunkerMunker Sat 12-Feb-05 21:39:39

I'd say that's the effect of Medised - DS has it sometimes (he's 10 months old) and it makes him very very drowsy.

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 21:41:32

dd2 reacts similarly, but then she is generally more tired when ill as well. gave her 10mls this evening as she has a rotton cold, am hoping it'll help her sleep through. she woke me up yesterday crying she was gonna be sick and asked for the bucket.

Aimsmum Sat 12-Feb-05 21:43:21

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Sat 12-Feb-05 21:43:59

She won't take it. She'll boak it if we try to give it to her, but before she learned to make herself gag it knocked her right out.

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 21:44:44

dd2 is sick on calpol, think its the colorings in it.

Evesmama Sat 12-Feb-05 21:45:31

only give dd 5ml(21 months) but shes falling asleep 1/2 - 1hr after taking it

WideWebWitch Sat 12-Feb-05 21:46:19

Medised does knock them out ime, I'm not surprised she went to sleep. I doubt it's a sign she's iller than you thought, especially if it happened after you gave her the Medised and if she'd seemed ok apart from the cough beforehand. It was a tired look, right? If you're worried though, call NHS Direct.

piffle Sat 12-Feb-05 21:53:23

my dd is 28 mths and we only give her 2.5 mls for her night time cough, it certainly helps her but she is always ready for bed at bed time anyways
Gave it to DS 11 last night for his cough and cold and he had 4tsps and he absolutely zonked out!

mummylonglegs Sat 12-Feb-05 22:09:00

Thanks, that's a relief. I'm sure it was the Medised now I've got your replies. I was just surprised how tired she was with it!

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 22:14:35

sorry for hi-jack, but how is your brother doing now mummylonglegs?

mummylonglegs Sat 12-Feb-05 22:18:55

Oh, misdee, he's so much better, thanks for asking. I just saw your other post about your dh and I'm so glad he's in Harefield.

misdee Sat 12-Feb-05 22:20:06

have they confirmed what happened with your brother? is it cardiomyopathy?

mishi1977 Sat 12-Feb-05 22:41:02

its deffo the medised i have used it on my ds when teething etc and it knocks him out...due to that i do only use one dose before bed

treacletart Sat 12-Feb-05 23:12:47

definitely medised. we probably use it more often than we should - it doesnt really knock ds out but it definitely send him over theh edge when he might resist sleep without it, but the antihistamine in it will be great at clearing up any snot/coughing - bet a good night's sleep will do her a power of good

Christie Sat 12-Feb-05 23:47:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: