Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have I got cystisis?

(13 Posts)
frumpygrumpy Fri 08-Aug-08 10:11:39

Last night when I peed I felt like I had a full bladder but didn't do too much. This morning its the same. I keep feeling like I need to go and don't pass much.

I'm a bit achey but don't have the stabbing pain or deperation to pee that I would associate with cystitis. (Mind you, haven't had it since I was a teenager so I'm not fully familiar.)

Could it develop slowly like this? Or would it only come on full? Do I need to go to the docs or can I get over the counter meds at the pharmacy? Or is it something totally different?

Thank you!

DumbledoresGirl Fri 08-Aug-08 10:14:46

Yes it sounds like cystitis (I am very familiar with all its faces!) If I were you, I would get an emergency appt with the GP today and get some antibiotics. I don't believe in half measures where cystitis is concerned and neither should you.

frumpygrumpy Fri 08-Aug-08 10:16:19

Oh crap. I don't get on well with antibiotics. They double me up in pain after a day.

Thank you though, I'll phone the doc now.

NorthernLurker Fri 08-Aug-08 10:17:00

I would go to the GPs so they can assess you properly. Cystitis or not you need to be able to pee properly and anything that interferes with that needs to be dealt with asap before you become very unwell.

DumbledoresGirl Fri 08-Aug-08 10:19:15

Oh no, that must be awful for you. FWIW, I am allergic to penicillin and the GP sometimes has to root around to find the right AB for me so I know there are choices in this matter.

The other thing I was going to say was that a trip to the doctor would tell you whether it was cystitis or not as they would usually take a wee sample for analysis.

The alternative is you drink pints and pints of water (you should do this anyway, even if you are going to the GP and are going to take ABs). Sometimes, some people can flush the infection out by drinking loads, but I have to say, this has never worked for me.

frumpygrumpy Fri 08-Aug-08 10:20:27

Thank you! I already drink loads but the docs it is.......

StellaWasADiver Fri 08-Aug-08 10:20:55

do you have any bicarbonate of soda? mix a teaspoon with water and drink, hourly if you can manage it.

StellaWasADiver Fri 08-Aug-08 10:21:33

i did this when pg and it got rid of it within a day

StellaWasADiver Fri 08-Aug-08 10:22:06

sory baby on lap, that was when it was pretty mild, it cameback and had to have antibs then

sorry for typing

largeginandtonic Fri 08-Aug-08 10:24:18

Yep i had it week before last, was terrible. I drank gallons of water, no caffeine and lots of cranberry juice. I got rid of it in a day too. Next morning i felt right as rain

Poor you.

frumpygrumpy Fri 08-Aug-08 10:36:31

Ta DG you are (sadly) well informed!

Stella, I do have bicarb.....might give it a blast.

LG&T, interesting about avoiding coffee. Im the last few weeks I have started drinking coffee again after YEARS of not being bothered about it. Is there a link?

largeginandtonic Fri 08-Aug-08 10:57:29

Oh yes, caffeine aggravates it beyond belief. Cut it out while you have it totally.

I am normally plagued by this during pregnancy but this time i have gone right off tea, coffee and coke and am drinking sparkling water instead. My most recent craving has been jasmine tea, chilled with lychee juice. I got the cystitis when i was away staying with family, no sparkling water with me!

frumpygrumpy Sat 09-Aug-08 15:28:11

Woke up worse, phoned NHS24, took an age to call me back, got me a hospital appt, handed in sample, met a scary doctor, got antibiotics. Ahhhhh, now, why did the doctors receptionist not just add me to the list of those who must be seen yesterday? Would have saved bothering a whole heap of people in the time line..........

Anyway, I'm gona live <<clasps hands to bosom in dramatic fashion>> grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now