Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vitamin B12 injections for DH - anyone know any contraindications, or should he just go for them?

(8 Posts)
Fauve Fri 08-Aug-08 00:42:54

He is coeliac, and the GP says he needs B12 injections. GP says pills may not be absorbed. Dh is happy to have injections - I just wondered if there are any nasties in the injection - mercury??? - or if they are perfectly non-contentious?

Fauve Fri 08-Aug-08 16:38:36

I know it's obscure, but let's see if anyone knows anything about them.

theinsider Fri 08-Aug-08 16:54:27

I know someone who has to have these. I think they are fairly non-contentious. She reckoned she stopped feeling so tired after a few - that's got to be good! However you'd be best to do some research of your own.

Hope your DH is ok.

AnAngelWithin Fri 08-Aug-08 16:59:20

my nan has these for treating her pernicious anaemia. They have helped her immensely! Not sure on the contraindications though!

Sidge Fri 08-Aug-08 17:02:27

It would be a good idea - B12 is necessary for a healthy nervous system and often people with malabsorption (eg coeliac disease, Crohns etc) benefit from B12, as it's normally absorbed in the small intestine and if the SI is damaged it might not absorb well.

It's usually given into the top of the arm - most people (depending on their levels) have a loading course of 5 or 6 injections, then have one every 12 weeks. Side effects are not common and most people feel a bit brighter after their loading doses.

Sidge Fri 08-Aug-08 17:04:32

Forgot to say I don't think there is mercury/thiomersal in B12 (hydroxocobalamin) but not 100% sure without the leaflet in front of me!

MrsMattie Fri 08-Aug-08 17:05:45

My dad has pernicious anaemia and has to have a monthly B12 injection. It has made a huge difference to his energy levels and general feeling of wellbeing. Not aware of any side effects.

Fauve Fri 08-Aug-08 18:24:31

Oh thanks, this is all very reassuring. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now